Chicken and Liver Adobo is a tasty version of Adobong Manok. It makes use of both chicken and chicken liver, along with oyster sauce. This goes very well with warm rice. In fact, I even exceeded my 1 cup of rice per meal limit.
How to Cook Chicken and Liver Adobo
The use of chicken liver makes this dish flavorful. It is still simple to make. I cooked it like any regular adobo. The only additional steps are frying the liver and mashing it afterwards.
Start to fry the liver by heating oil in a pan. Fry one side for 1 minute. Turn it over and do the same to the opposite side. Continue frying while continuously flipping the liver until it gets cooked completely. Remove the liver from the pan afterwards and set it aside to cool down. Don’t worry about the liver particles on the pan. It will be deglazed later.
Continue cooking using the remaining oil. Saute garlic for 1 to 20 seconds. Add the chicken pieces and fry for 15 seconds per side. Pour vinegar next and let it boil. This is the time to deglaze the liver particles sticking at the bottom of the pan. Gently scrape the liver until it dissolves in the liquid. cover the pan and continue cooking for 3 minutes.
I am using oyster sauce as a substitute for soy sauce. It sounds interesting, yes? Let me tell you that is does not only sounds good, it tastes delicious too. Add peppercorns and bay leaves next. Pour the water in the pan and let it boil.
I really like my adobo to have a nice chicken flavor that complements with the rich taste of the liver. For this reason, I add a piece of Knorr Chicken Cube. It works really well for this adobo version.
Continue cooking the chicken for 15 minutes. While waiting, mach the fried liver. You don’t need to mash it perfectly, it can come-out with some lumps. Add the mashed liver in the pan. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Try this tasty Chicken and Liver Adobo recipe. Enjoy it with your family.
Chicken and Liver Adobo
- Heat oil in a pan. Pan-fry chicken liver until thoroughly cooked. Remove from pan. Set aside.
- Using the remaining oil, saute garlic for 15 seconds. Add chicken pieces. Fry each side for 15 seconds.
- Pour vinegar. Let boil. Deglaze the chicken liver particles by gently scraping the bottom of the pan. Cover and cook in medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add oyster sauce, whole peppercorn, dried bay leaves, and water. Let boil.
- Add Knorr Chicken Cube. Cover the pan. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Mash the fried chicken liver. Add it back to the pan. Stir and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with warm rice.