Adobong Manok sa Gata is a version of Filipino Chicken Adobo that includes coconut milk. It is simply cooked similar to regular adobo, except that coconut milk is added in the middle of the process. The additional ingredient makes this dish different from traditional adobo.
How to Cook Adobong Manok sa Gata
Let me first tell you that I like this chicken adobo version a lot. Aside from being rich and creamy, it is also flavorful. The chicken is also cooked just right, in my opinion. You should give it a shot.
Start by sautéing the garlic until it starts to brown. Do this by heating oil in a pan. Crush the garlic and start to saute. Note that you can also slice it into smaller pieces, if desired.
The next step it frying the chicken. Put the chicken pieces on the pan and then fry each side for 1 minute or so until it turns light brown. Turn it over and do the same thing on the opposite side. This step gives each piece of chicken a good outside texture. It also prevents the skin from shrinking rapidly when stewed or boiled for a long time.
Pour soy sauce and vinegar next. You can use low-sodium soy sauce if desires. As for the vinegar, the acceptable varieties are either white, coconut, or cane. Let the mixture boil. Flip the chicken pieces afterwards.and then continue cooking for 5 minutes.
Now, add the whole peppercorn and dried bay leaves. These ingredients should have completed the basic chicken adobo, except that this is a special version. The coconut milk goes next. This makes this dish different from the traditional version.
I also add a piece of Knorr Chicken Cube to bring-out that solid chicken flavor that complements the rich and creamy sauce. You will need to cover the pan for the last time and continue cooking in low heat for 20 minutes.
The chicken should be fully cooked and tender by then. I removed the cover afterwards and cooked it for 7 minutes more. This reduces the sauce, which makes it more flavorful.
Try this delicious Adobong Manok sa Gata recipe. Enjoy!
Adobong Manok sa Gata
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Crush the garlic, and then saute until it starts to brown.
- Fry the chicken for 1 to 1 ½ minutes per side.
- Pour soy sauce and vinegar. Cover the pan. Let boil. Flip the chicken pieces afterwards. Continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Add whole peppercorn and bay leaves. Pour coconut milk. Stir and then let the mixture boil.
- Add Knorr Chicken Cube. Stir and cover the pan. Adjust heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cover and continue to cook until sauce reduces to desired amount.
- Serve with warm rice. Share and enjoy!