Beef Asado is a piquant Filipino beef stew version. Try not to confuse this with Sweet Chinese Asado. This dish originated from Central Luzon in the Philippines. It is usually served during special occasions. However, you can also make it during regular days by following our simple and easy recipe below.
Watch How to Cook Beef Asado
Making your own beef asado at home is simple. You can always refer to the recipe and video on this page for guidance.
I start by marinating the beef in a mixture composed of crushed peppercorn, soy sauce, white vinegar, bay leaves, lemon, and tomato sauce. The minimum marinating time is 30 minutes. It is best to prepare it ahead of time and marinate overnight for best results.
After marinating the beef, boil it using the remaining marinade and water for around 40 minutes per side, or until it gets tender. I add a piece of Knorr Beef Cube during the process to give my dish that nice beef flavor.
The potato and carrots are usually added in the stew as it cooks. However, I decided to give it some texture for this recipe. I fried it separately instead.
Once the beef is tender, it needs to be cooked again. This time, I saute onion and garlic first for additional flavor and aroma. Everything from the pot goes into the pan. This means the beef stew sauce and the beef. I also add some butter to make the sauce richer.
I finish it by slicing the beef into thin pieces and reducing the sauce until thick. The sauce is then poured over the beef (with fried potato and carrots on the side) before serving.
Note that the cut of the beef that you will use plays an important role in the success of this dish. Lean parts are good, but it is better to use cuts with marbles of fat. This makes the dish juicy and more enjoyable to eat. As good as it might get, always remember to consume this dish in moderation.
Try this Beef Asado Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 3 1/2 lbs. beef chuck
- 1 piece Knorr Beef Cube
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 cups water
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons whole peppercorn crushed
- 4 pieces bay leaves dried
- 1/2 piece lemon
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 1 piece onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- Combine beef, crushed peppercorn, soy sauce, vinegar, dried bay leaves, lemon, and tomato sauce. Mix well. Marinate beef or at least 30 minutes.
- Put the marinated beef in a cooking pot along with remaining marinade. Add water. Let boil.
- Add Knorr Beef Cube. Stir. Cover the pot and cook for 40 minutes in low heat.
- Turn the beef over. Add tomato paste. Continue cooking until beef tenderizes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in pan. Fry the potato until it browns. Turn over and continue frying the opposite side. Remove from the pan and place on a clean plate. Do the same with the carrots.
- Save 3 tablespoons of cooking oil from the pan where the potato was fried. Saute onion and garlic until onion softens.
- Pour-in the sauce from the beef stew. Let boil. Add the beef. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add butter and let it melt. Continue cooking until the sauce reduces to half.
- Remove the beef from the pan. Slice into serving pieces. Arrange on a serving plate with fried potato and carrot. Top with remaining sauce.
- Serve warm with rice. Share and enjoy!
Watch How to Cook Beef Asado