This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
When it comes to the holiday season, dinner tables all around the world often vary in terms of the dishes that are brought out. For the Filipino holiday feast, a dish that is almost always in attendance is one of the lovely ham or hamon. There is just something so uniquely delicious about a perfectly seasoned, sweet and juicy ham steak.
But what about taking a bit of a different route for your next special occasion? You can still utilize your holiday ham for this recipe, but we will try it with a bit more of a savory, cheesy twist. Let me introduce you to my delicious Cheesy Ham Steak with Bacon and Mushroom dish!
What does cheesy ham steak with bacon and mushroom taste like?
The original hamon dish is already pretty popular as it is so you might be wondering— why the need for any variation? Well, for those who prefer their viands to be less on the sweeter side, but instead have that irresistible saltiness, a touch of bacon would do a great deal in making your ham steak even better! The addition of gooey melted cheese is just the cherry on top. The best part is this dish is quick and easy to make! How about we get started?
Ingredients in Cheesy Ham Steak with Bacon and Mushroom
CDO Holiday Ham
First up is our main ingredient, which is 500 grams of CDO Holiday Ham. This is perfect to use as it already has that gorgeous, pineapple-y flavor we want for the dish. To prepare this, just slice the ham up so it is 1 inch thick for each piece.
Let’s grab 300 grams of button mushroom as well. Just like the first component, we will slice this up nicely. When you are picking out your mushrooms at the store, it would be best to go for those that are firm, and have a pretty uniform color without any spots or decay.
CDO Young Pork Bacon
For that touch of satisfying crispiness, we will also integrate 6 strips of CDO Young Pork Bacon. Now an important aspect of this dish is preparing our bacon right. And so just cook these strips up, making sure that they do not get too brown. You will know you’re done once they are perfectly crunchy. We will also use this crumbled for the dish. I love to use this ingredient in making breakfast dishes too. This bacon stuffed pancake is my favorite.
Have 50 grams of cheddar cheese ready for topping our ham with. Slice these up too.
For a boost of savor and just the smallest hint of spice, get 1 onion, and then mince this.
You will need 3 cloves of garlic as well. Mince these just like our onion so that we don’t end up with large chunks in our dish.
Since we want our ham to cook perfectly with a buttery finish, we will, of course, need 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter.
Have 1 tablespoon of cooking oil ready at your side for when we begin frying the ham.
Salt and ground black pepper
And just to make sure we have enough saltiness and flavor in our dish, also prepare some salt and ground black pepper. The amount would depend on you, and so you can have as much as you want ready before we start cooking.
How to Make Cheesy Ham Steak with Bacon and Mushroom
1. Sautéing some ingredients
- Melting butter – What we will be starting off with is our pan and butter. Just place the butter inside, and then with some heat, let this melt.
- Adding onion, garlic and mushrooms – Then incorporate your minced garlic and onion. When your onion gets soft, you can also put the mushrooms inside. Then just sauté these together for a good 2 minutes. Sprinkle in as much ground black pepper and salt as you prefer. Then set this aside so we can work on the ham.
2. Cooking the ham
- Frying the ham steak – Get a new pan, and then pour your cooking oil inside. Let this heat up, and once it does, you can place the CDO Holiday Ham inside. We will fry the first side for 3 minutes.
- Integrating cheddar cheese – Now we can just flip the ham over. Put 2 to 3 slices of cheddar cheese on top of the ham, and then cover your pan. Keep everything cooking for 2 ½ minutes.
3. Serving the ham steak
- Arranging the ham – We’re almost done! Just get your cooked ham with cheese, and carefully place it on a serving plate. And then we will top if all off with some crumbled bacon. On the side, we will be having our sautéed mushrooms from earlier as well.
How did you like this Cheesy Ham Steak with Bacon and Mushroom? Interested in trying out more recipes right at home? Scroll through the website to find your next culinary project!
- Melt butter in a pan. Sauté onion and garlic. Add mushrooms once the onion softens. Continue sautéing for 2 minutes. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Heat cooking oil in a clean pan. Fry the ham steak for 3 minutes.
- Flip the ham over and top with 2 to 3 slices of cheddar cheese. Cover the pan. Continue cooking for 2 ½ minutes.
- Arrange the ham steak on a serving plate. Top it with crumbled bacon and serve with sauteed mushrooms.
- Share and enjoy!