Chicken Liver and Gizzard Adobo is known locally in the Philippines as Adobong Atay at Balun-balunan. This is a traditional Filipino dish cooked inadobo style. This is a simple and budget friendly Filipino recipe that is worth trying.
This recipe has a little deviation from the original recipe because I dredged the liver in flour and pan-fried it first before making it into an adobo dish. The traditional recipe do not do it this way. I deviated in order to give the liver a better texture and to thicken the sauce of this adobo dish. I also love the flavor of fried chicken liver and I thought that it helped improved the overall taste of the dish.
You see, chicken liver is full of flavor; it is the reason why Sisig recipes always call for it. Imagine how flavorful this dish is, and that is why I had my rice consumption doubled when I had it.
Try this Chicken Liver and Gizzard Adobo Recipe (Adobong Atay at Balun-balunan). Let me know what you think.
Chicken Liver and Gizzard Adobo
- 1 lb. chicken gizzard
- 1 lb. chicken liver
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 to 6 pieces dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorn
- 4 to 5 cloves crushed garlic
- 3/4 cup water
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- Boil the chicken gizzard in 4 cups of water (covered) for 60 to 90 minutes. Drain the water and set aside.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt all over the chicken liver. Let it stay for 10 minutes.
- Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan.
- Dredge the chicken liver in all-purpose flour. Pan fry for 2 minutes per side. Remove the pan-fried chicken liver. Set aside.
- On the same pan using the remaining oil, add the garlic, Cook until the color turns light brown.
- Put-in the gizzard and pan-fried liver. Stir.
- Add the soy sauce and water. Let boil.
- Add the bay leaves and whole peppercorn. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the vinegar. Let the liquid re-boil. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off. Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!