Beef Salpicao is a dish composed of cubed beef sirloin or tenderloin, lots of minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, and some liquid seasoning (the seasoning can either be oyster sauce or soy sauce – but I think using oyster sauce is better). This could be mistaken as cubed garlic steak because of the very close resemblance (it also resembles the steak used in Chipotle’s Steak Burrito minus the garlic).
After doing some research on the origin of this dish, it seems that the trail that I am following lead me nowhere. The next famous salpicao outside of the Philippines can be found in Portugal. The name of the dish is spelled as salpicão and it is a type of sausage that uses different kinds of meat. It also looks very different from the Philippine salpicao dish. I guess that I need to dig deeper into this matter unless some of you know something about it. You could always inform us by placing a comment.
It is important to use the tenderest part of the cow when cooking this dish. Since searing the meat until it dries up does not take that long, there wouldn’t be enough time to tenderize the meat that you are cooking. I highly recommend using beef tenderloin or sirloin for this recipe.
Try this Beef Salpicao recipe
Watch the Video on How to Cook Beef Salpicao
- 1 1/2 lbs beef sirloin or tenderloin, cubed
- 3 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- Combine the beef, salt, pepper, and garlic then mix well. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add the olive oil and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Apply high heat on a pan then put-in the combined ingredients once the pan is hot enough.
- Sear the beef until the color of the outer part turns brown. Try to toss the beef while searing so that all sides are uniformly cooked.
- Add the oyster sauce and Worcestershire sauce and continue tossing until the liquid dries up.
- Put-in the butter and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve hot. Share and enjoy!