Eggplant and Sardine Omelet is a budget-friendly yet delicious dish that you can cook for your family anytime of the day. It is simple to make and the ingredients are easy to source.
Watch How to Cook Eggplant and Sardine Omelet
This dish is quick and easy to prepare. It is just like making tortang talong with toppings.
Start by preparing the sardine topping. Do this by sautéing canned sardines in tamato sauce with garlic, onion, and tamato. Season with salt and pepper and squeeze a piece of calamansi to reduce the fishy taste. I also like to add some chopped green onions into the mix.
Make the eggplant omelet next. Do this by first preparing the eggplants. For this recipe, I grilled the eggplants until the inside parts becomes soft. Note that it is normal for the skin of the eggplant to get burnt during the process. You will know that you are almost done once you start seeing steam coming out from the cracks of the skin.
Peel the skin off once it cools down. Flatten the eggplant using a fork. Watch the video below for more guidance on this step. Don’t worry, it is easy.
Time to cook the ingredients together. Start by whisking or beating eggs in a large bowl. Heating oil in a clean pan. Dip a piece of eggplant in beaten egg. Lay it flat on the pan.
While cooking, top it with a portion of the cooked sardines along with some chopped green onions. I also pour some beaten egg above the topping to help the ingredients bind better.
Once the bottom part of the eggplant turns golden brown, gently flip and continue cooking the opposite side until done.
Have this anytime of the day. I enjoy it more with rice on the side.
Try this Eggplant and Sardine Omelet. Enjoy!
Eggplant and Sardine Omelet
- 2 pieces eggplant
- 5.5 oz. canned sardines in tomato sauce
- 3 pieces egg
- 1 piece tomato chopped
- 1 piece onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion chopped
- 1/4 lemon or 1 piece calamansi
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Prepare the sardine topping by heating oil in a pan. Sauté garlic, onion, and tomato until the last 2 ingredients softens. Add the canned sardines and a quarter of the sauce from the can. Cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Squeeze a piece of calamansi or a quarter lemon and add some chopped green onions. Stir. Remove from the pan. Set aside.
- Crack the eggs into bowl. Whisk until smooth and well-blended. Set aside.
- Prepare the eggplant by grilling until it softens. Make sure to flip it once in a while until steam comes out from the cracks of the skin. Remove from the grill. Let It cool down. Peel the skin off.
- Lay a piece of eggplant on a plate. Using a fork, flatten the eggplant by sliding the fork downwards.
- Heat remaining oil in a clean pan.
- While the oil is heating-up, dip a piece of eggplant into the whisked/beaten eggs. Lay it flat on the pan. Scoop a portion of the sautéed sardines and place over the eggplant. Top with chopped green onions. Pour some beaten egg over the toppings. Continue cooking until the bottom turns golden brown.
- Gently flip the eggplant. Continue cooking until the bottom part is completely cooked. Remove from the pan and arrange on a serving plate. Make sure that the part with sardines is facing upwards.
- Serve with rice or your favorite side dish. Share and enjoy!