Chicken Empanada is a type of pastry that is stuffed with chicken meat, potato, carrots, and sweet peas. This is made by arranging the filling in the middle of a flattened dough and sealing it by pinching and folding the edges. Similar types of Empanadas are also common in Spain and South America. In fact, the Cuban Picadillo almost resembles the Filipino Empanada in terms of ingredients and taste.
Empanada can be fried or baked. This chicken empanada recipe is involves baking because it gives the crust more flaky texture. If you prefer your empanada fried, you can always deep fry this chicken empanada.
Try this extraordinary Baked Chicken Empanada recipe. Send us your feedback.
Chicken Empanada Recipe
- 1 1/2 lb boneless chicken breast cut into cubes
- 1 piece medium-sized onion minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 cup potato diced
- 1 cup carrot diced
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 piece chicken cube
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 cups flour
- 6 tablespoon water cold
- 1 piece raw egg
- 1 cup butter cold
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Make the Filing by pouring the cooking oil in a pan and then allow it to heat-up
- Once the oil is hot, saute the garlic and onions
- Add the chicken breast then cook until color turns light brown (about 5 minutes)
- Add water and chicken cube then simmer for 10 minutes
- Put-in carrots and potatoes and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the green peas, raisins, and 1 teaspoon sugar then simmer for another 5 minutes
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Turn off the heat, drain the excess liquid, and set aside.
- Make the dough by combining the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl starting with the flour, 4 tablespoon. sugar, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix well using a wire whisk.
- Cut the butter into small thin pieces place in the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients.(the butter should be cold and solid before doing this)
- Add water gradually and mix all the ingredients thoroughly until a dough is formed. You may use a pastry blender to ease the process.
- Divide the dough into individual pieces by grabbing a piece from the whole mixture and rolling it in your hand until a spherical shape is formed. Do this until all the dough is consumed. Set aside in a cool place for at least 20 minutes
- Flatten the spherical dough by pressing it with your palm against a flat surface. Use a rolling pin to flatten it fully while creating a round shape.
- Arrange about a quarter to half a cup of filling (the chicken that you cooked in the first few steps) at the middle of the flattened dough. Fold the dough so that opposite ends meet (you should have formed a half moon shaped dough)then press the edges and seal. (refer to the video for the technique)
- After all the fillings are consumed, crack the egg and separate the white from the yolk. Beat the egg white lightly and mix a little water.Glaze the crust by brushing the egg wash.
- Put a wax paper on top of a baking tray or grease the baking tray then arranged the sealed doughs.
- Pre-heat oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. Bake the sealed doughs for 25 minutes at the same temperature.
- Remove from the oven.
- Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!