Beef Pares are cubed beef briskets cooked with different spices and tenderized to perfection. The aroma of this dish alone is really enticing and the flavor is so captivating as if someone is whispering in your subconscious mind to go and get more.
I was first introduced to this dish in a local Tapsilog House in Las Pinas. Back then, this dish is just a new addition to the menu. This captured my attention just right after my first bite and from then on I became a believer. These days, you can buy a complete Beef Pares meal from different eateries (these are Tapsilog joints turned Pares Restaurants).
I usually have this any time of the day. During my college years, I visit a nearby Goodies Pares near my campus (its the one in Leon Guinto and Quirino in Manila). A definite Pig-Out place for me, sometime I even order extra rice or two with a glass of Pepsi or Coke by my side.
Note: Make the soup by combining 1 cup of the beef stock that you used to boil the meat and 2 tablespoons of pares sauce.
Try this sumptuous Beef Pares recipe. Let me know what you think.
Beef Pares Recipe
- 1 lb beef uncut, preferably brisket
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp ginger minced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 medium-sized onion minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 piece beef cube
- 2 pieces star anise
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 tbsp scallions or green onions finely chopped
- Pour the water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Put-in the beef and then boil until the meat is tender (about 1 to 2 hours if slow cooked or 20 mins. if using a pressure cooker)
- When the meat is tender, remove from the pot and allow to cool down. Do not throw away the stock used for boiling.
- Slice the boiled meat in cubes and set aside.
- Place the oil in a pan then heat-up. Saute the onion, garlic, and ginger.
- Put-in the sliced meat and saute for about 2 to 3 minutes
- Add the soy sauce , 1 cup of beef stock (stock used in boiling the meat), star anise, and beef cube. Stir and then bring to a boil.
- Put-in the sugar. Stir.
- Add salt and ground black pepper. Stir and then simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Garnish with scallions on top.
- Serve with Garlic Fried Rice and soup
- Share and Enjoy!