Ginataang Mais at Malagkit or sweet corn and rice porridge with coconut milk is a simple and easy-to-cook treat that can be enjoyed as a dessert, or something to have for breakfast. It is also a perfect meryenda food.
I like it hot when eaten for breakfast or as meryemda, but prefer it chilled if I am having it for dessert. How about you?
This is a quick and easy recipe. It will show you how to cook this Filipino dessert in less than 30 minutes in the simplest way possible. While the recipe itself suggest ginataang mais to be completed quickly, use your due diligence by checking if the rice and corn are cooked properly and soft before proceeding to the next step. Feel free to add more coconut milk or water if the liquid is about to dry-up while rice or corn needs more time to cook.
Ginatang Mais at Munggo is a good variation of this dish. I suggest that you try it too.
Try this Ginataang Mais at Malagkit Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Ginataang Mais at Malagkit (Sweet Corn and Glutinous Rice in Coconut Milk)
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup glutinous rice malagkit
- 1 cup sweet corn chopped
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
- Pour coconut milk and coconut cream in a cooking pot. Let it boil.
- Once it starts to boil, add glutinous rice. Stir continously for 10 minutes.
- Add sugar. Stir.
- Add sweetcorn into the pot. Stir and continue to cook in low heat for 8 minutes. Note you can cook this longer to make the corn and rice softer.
- Add vanilla extract and salt. Stir.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve
- Share and enjoy!