This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Ginisang Gulay is a simple sauteed vegetable dish. It is composed of eggplant, squash, okra, amapalaya (bitter gourd), and string beans. The combination of vegetables resembles a Filipino dish called Pinakbet. However, there are notable differences between the two dishes in terms non veggie ingredients.
This simple vegetable dish is fast to make and good for the health. It can be eaten with rice. So, if you want to go healthy all along then have this with brown rice and try to lessen the oil and salt. This is a perfect dish for the holy week since it does not have meat.
How to Cook Ginisang Gulay
Star by heating the cooking oil. You can use canola oil for this recipe. Saute the onion and garlic and add the tomato. Use any kind of tomato that you prefer, as long as it is red and ripe. Add the kalabasa (squash) and cook it for a few minutes to help it get softer. You can use acorn squash or butternut squash for this recipe. Add the remaining vegetables and stir fry for a few minutes before adding the vegetable broth. The broth is nice to have. Use water if it is not available. Cover and let it cook for at least 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. That’s it! Quick and easy.
If you like to have options, pairing this with fried or grilled fish is a good idea. I usually have this with Inihaw na bangus or sometimes with fried tilapia. When I feel like combining dishes, I place the fish on top of the veggies to make it look like dinengdeng.
Try this ginisang gulay recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1 medium bitter gourd ampalaya, cored and sliced
- 6 to 8 pieces okra
- 1 cup sliced tomatoes
- 8 pieces string beans sliced in 2 inch pieces
- 1 medium Chinese eggplant
- 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cubed calabaza squash
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Saute garlic and onion.
- Add the tomato when the onion gets soft. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the calabaza squash. Stir and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Put the eggplant, okra, string beans, and bitter gourd in the pan. Stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Pour the vegetable broth. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the cover. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve and enjoy!
Watch the video on How to Cook Ginisang Gulay