This gising gising recipe post will guide you on how to cook green beans and ground pork with coconut milk in under 30 minutes. Refer to the cooking video at the bottom of this page for the step by step demonstration.
Gising gising is Filipino dish composed of Baguio beans and ground pork. These ingredients are cooked in coconut milk. Bagoong alamang and a few pieces of chopped Thai chili peppers are also added to it. These provide more flavor and heat to the dish making it more enjoyable to eat.
I enjoy having this dish for breakfast with white rice. The heat from the chili peppers keeps me up and helps me get ready to face the day ahead.
Cooking Gising Gising
This is one of the easiest recipes that you will see in this blog. The entire cooking process takes around 18 to 23 minutes.
The first thing to do is to prepare coconut milk. This recipe suggests the use Knorr Ginataang Gulay Mix. It is a good alternative to fresh coconut milk because it is already seasoned to fit the Filipino palate. This makes it more convenient to new home cooks. Put the recipe mix in a bowl and add 2 cups of water. Stir well until the powder dilutes completely. Set the mixture aside.
The cooking process starts with sauteing the onion and garlic. First, heat oil in a wok or cooking pot and then start to saute onion once the oil gets hot. I usually cook the onion for around 30 seconds before adding garlic. You can also do it the other way around by sauteing garlic first before the onion.
Add the ground pork once the onion softens and continue to saute until the ground meat turns light brown. Non-pork eaters can use ground beef or ground chicken as alternative ingredients. The key in this step is to completely cook the pork first before adding the rest of the ingredients. This should take around 6 to 8 minutes.
The chopped chili pepper and shrimp paste or bagoong alamang is added at this point. Feel free to use more chili pepper depending on your preference. Start with 1 tablespoon bagoong as per the recipe. You can add more towards the end of the cooking process if you think that more bagoong is needed.
Pour the coconut milk mixture, let boil. Cover the pot and simmer for 8 minutes. Add the long green beans last and cook for 3 to 5 minutes before serving.
Try this Gising Gising Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Gising Gising Recipe
- Prepare the coconut milk by combining Knorr ginataang gulay mix with 2 cups water in a bowl. Stir until well blended. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot.
- Saute onion for 30 seconds.
- Add garlic. Continue to saute until onion softens.
- Add ground pork. Cook until it turns light brown.
- Put the chopped chili and bagoong alamang into the cooking pot. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour the Knorr coconut milk mixture into the pot. Stir. Cover the pot. Let boil, and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add long green beans. Stir. Continue to cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve. Share and enjoy!
Watch How to Cook Gising Gising