Monte Cristo is in the top of my list when it comes to sandwiches. It is basically fried ham and turkey sandwich with cheese. You can consider it as a crossover between French toast and grilled cheese sandwiches. It is usually topped with caster sugar and served with jam.
How to Make Monte Cristo
It is easy to make this in the comfort of your own homes. I usually use two kinds of spreads. The first is yellow mustard, and the second and equally important is the Lady’s Choice Ham Spread. It helps make my sandwich rich, creamy, and tasty.
Simply spread mustard and ham spread on one side of each bread slice. You can be as generous as you want in terms of the amount. Cheese is also a must for this sandwich. You can use any type of cheese that you prefer. I used the Swiss variety. Top 2 slices of cheese over the bread slice and arrange the proteins over the cheese.
It will be great to have more than one protein on your Monte Cristo. Ham is the most common, and adding turkey or sliced chicken makes a huge difference for the better. You can also be as generous as you want with the amount of protein.
Since the cheese helps the bread slices to stick to the other contents of the sandwich, it is a must to lay another set over the proteins. Finish by topping with the other bread slice.
Now, let’s start cooking. This is pretty much the same as making French toast. Dip one side of the sandwich in beaten egg for 40 second. Do the same thing on the other side. Melt butter in a pan and cook each side of the sandwich until golden brown.
Have this anytime of the day. Try this easy Monte Cristo Recipe. Enjoy!
- 4 slices white bread
- ¼ cup Lady’s Choice Ham Spread
- 4 slices ham
- 4 slices turkey
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 pieces eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Crack eggs on a wide bowl. Beat until smooth. Set aside.
- Spread mustard on one side of each sliced bread. Spread Lady's Choice Ham Spread over the mustard. Top one slice of bread with 2 slices of Swiss cheese and then alternately arrange 2 slices of ham and turkey over the cheese. Put 2 slices of cheese over the protein and then finish by topping with the second slice of bread.
- Dip one side of the sandwich in beaten egg for 40 to 50 seconds. Do the same for the other side.
- Melt butter in a pan. Put the sandwich in and continue cooking using between low to medium heat until golden brown. Flip the sandwich and continue to do the same procedure on the opposite side.
- Slice the Monte Cristo sandwich in half. Arrange in a serving plate. Serve. Share and enjoy!