Paksiw na Lechon Kawali or Lechon Paksiw is a dish that I made using leftover lechon kawali along with my homemade lechon sauce. This is a common dish that I prepare a day after the party as long as there are lechon leftovers.
Lechon might be enjoyable to eat while it is crispy, but there is a small window wherein you can enjoy the lechon at its peak condition (when the skin is still crispy and the meat is moist and tender). Once it gets cold, the crunchy texture of the skin starts to wear out.
The good thing about paksiw na lechon is the idea that I can still enjoy lechon even if the skin is not crispy anymore. I all this the next goodness level of lechon. It is sometime better than the original form (in my opinion). With my paksiw na lechon kawali, I am assured to still enjoy the same paksiw goodness even after 3 to 5 days as long as it is handled and stored properly. I also feel that the taste keeps on getting better with time.
It is best to make the your lechon paksiw tender for best results. This means cooking the meat in low to medium heat for around 30 minutes to an hour (or more if needed) until the meat gets tender. The skin will be gelatinous to the point that it feels like it is melting in your mouth.
Try this Paksiw na Lechon Kawali Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Paksiw na Lechon Kawali
- Heat oil in a cooking pot.
- Saute garlic and onion.
- Once the onion gets soft, add the lechon kawaii. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and beef broth. Let boil.
- Add whole peppercorn and dried bay leaves. Cover the pot and cook in medium heat for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Pour vinegar into the pot. Let the liquid re-boil.
- Add lechon sauce. Stir. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add sugar and salt. Continue to cook until the liquid reduces to half.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!