Pancit Bato is a noodle dish that closely resembles pancit canton. This originated in the province of Camarines Sur, Bicol region in a municipality known as Bato. I think that it is clear where this noodle dish got its name.
I got a pack of pancit bato from my friends who arrived recently from their Philippine trip. I was interested to learn how to prepare this noodle dish, so I asked my Bicolano friends about it. I learned that there are several ways to cook pancit bato, but the two popular methods are guisado and sinabawan. In addition, pancit bato can be cooked without any meat or vegetables – but I chose to show you how to cook it with all the ingredients to make it more appealing.
How is pancit bato different from the other noodles? The first thing that I noticed is the texture. It is harder than the regular pancit canton. This means that you will need to add extra cooking time to ensure that the noodles are ready. As for the taste, the noodles have a good smoky flavor, which I think is great.
I enjoyed my meal and will definitely try this again, if I can get hold of the noodles. This is a delicious dish and I recommend it to everyone.
Try this Pancit Bato Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Pancit Bato Guisado
- 3/4 lb. Pancit Bato
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 medium carrot julienned
- 1 cup snap peas
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 6 ounces sliced pork
- 6 ounces medium shrimp shell and head removed
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat the cooking oil in a cooking pot or deep pan.
- Once the oil is hot, saute the garlic and onion.
- Add the sliced pork. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour-in the soy sauce, fish sauce, and chicken broth. Let boil. Simmer covered for 20 minutes. Add water if needed.
- Add the ground black pepper. Stir.
- Put-in the shrimp, snap peas, and carrots. Cook for a minute.
- Add the cabbage. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Put-in the noodles (pancit bato). Stir and cook until all the liquid is absorbed. The noodles should be soft . Otherwise, add a little water to soften the noodles.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!