Rellenong Pusit literally translates to Stuffed Squid. The word “relleno” means stuffed in Spanish. This recipe calls for large squid to be stuffed with cooked ground pork. The outer part is coated with flour. The squid is then pan-fried until done.
It has been part of the Filipino culinary culture to create dishes with stuffings. Some of the famous stuffed dishes that I personally adore are Rellenong Bangus, Chicken Galantina, and Lechon stuffed with Paella.
How to Cook Rellenong Pusit
Making your own Rellenong Pusit is easy. If you tried making pork giniling, you won’t be having a hard time with this recipe. Why? Because the time consuming part is on the stuffing. Cooking the squid is quick and easy.
Start by cooking the ground pork. This procedure is similar to cooking picadillo or pork giniling. The stuffing can be considered as a separate dish. Do this by sautéing garlic, onion, celery, and tomato before adding the ground pork. Alternative ingredients can be ground chicken or beef. Cook the ground meat until medium brown. Add carrots and season with salt and pepper. Feel free to add raisins if preferred.
Let the stuffing cool down. Scoop a spoonful and stuff the ground meat into the squid. Make sure that the squid has been cleaned properly before doing this step. Secure the squid by inserting a toothpick to hold the head and tentacles.
Dredge squid in flour and then dip in beaten egg. Dredge it one more time in flour and then pan-fry for 3 minutes.
This is best served with rice. I like making this dish on the weekends or on special occasions.
Let’s wish for good health and peace. Always remember to always be thankful for all the blessings that we receive.
Try this Rellenong Pusit Recipe and send us your feedback.
- 2 pieces squid large, cleaned and gutted
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1 piece carrot diced or minced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 piece onion minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 piece tomato diced
- 1 piece lemon
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 piece egg beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 10 tablespoons cooking oil
- Combine squid, soy sauce, and juice from 1 piece lemon and marinade for 30 minutes.
- Heat a pan and pour-in 3 tablespoons cooking oil.
- Sauté garlic, onion, celery, and tomato.
- Put-in the ground pork and cook until the color turns light brown (about 5 minutes).
- Add carrots, salt and ground black pepper then stir. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Turn-off heat and let cool.
- Stuff the marinated squid with the cooked ground pork. Insert toothpicks at the opening of the squid to secure the filling.
- Dip the stuffed squid in beaten egg then dredge in flour. Set aside.
- Heat another pan and pour-in 7 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- Pan-fry the squid. Cook each side for 3 to 5 minutes. Note: Do not overcook the squid so that it will remain tender.
- Transfer the cooked squid in a serving plate and serve.
- Share and enjoy!
Watch the cooking video: