I love anything with beef and broccoli. This Saucy Beef with Broccoli is my take to incorporate more sauce to the beloved dish. You can now top your rice with extra sauce while enjoying this amazing dish.
How to Cook Saucy Beef with Broccoli
The cooking process should be done within 30 minutes, as long as tender cuts of beef are used.
Start by marinating the beef to infuse flavor. Do this by combining soy sauce, cooking wine, and beef. Mix it well and then add cornstarch. Shaoxing wine is used for this recipe. Feel free to use mirin, sake, or even rum as alternatives.
You might be wondering about the purpose of the cornstarch. It does not affect the flavor of the dish. However, it is important to provide texture to the sauce. It helps thicken it.
The next step is sautéing. Do this by sautéing ginger and onion in a pan. Always saute in high heat. Add the marinated beef once the onion softens. Cooking the beef until it turns brown through stir-frying is the goal. Add oyster sauce afterwards and stir-fry. This additional ingredient provides additional flavor that completes the dish.
Make the dish saucier by adding beef broth. You can use store-bought broth or beef stock. Beef powder and cubes are also good alternatives. Don’t forget to add water if using either powder or cubes.
I add the broccoli towards the end. I like crunchy. This is the reason why cooking it for just around 3 minutes is ideal.
Finalize the dish by adjusting the flavor based on your preference by adding salt and ground black pepper as needed.
I usually enjoy the stir-fried version with Yang Chow fried rice. However, this sauce version works well with plain white rice. Simply top the warm sauce over the rice and add a generous serving of beef.
Give this recipe a try. Have fun cooking!
Saucy Beef with Broccoli
- Combine beef, soy sauce, cooking wine, and cornstarch in a bowl. Mix well. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Sauté ginger and onion until the later softens.
- Add marinated beef into the pan. Stir-fry until the beef browns.
- Add oyster sauce. Stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Pour-in beef broth. Stir. Cover the pan and then continue cooking in low heat for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add broccoli. Stir and cover the pan. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve! Share and enjoy.
Watch How to Cook Saucy Beef with Broccoli