This is a classic beef with broccoli recipe that I always enjoy to make for two reasons: it is easy peasy lemon squeezy ( ideal for beginners),and it is quick to make. Oh – and there’s more. I can enjoy it with any of the following sides: fried rice, steamed white rice, or chow mein.
Let’s talk about how to cook this classic beef with broccoli. The two things that we’ll do are to marinade and stir-fry. The meat needs to be marinated in a mixture of yummy ingredients (check out the recipe below to see the details). Once the meat has absorbed the marinade, we’ll need to stir fry the broccoli, and then the meat later on.
The meat that we’ll be using for this recipe is obviously beef, but the cut is sirloin. It is located at the back part of the cow. I particularly used smaller slices if sirloin steak. I got these from the Carniceria; these are supposed to be used for beef tacos (but I had another purpose). Actually, I used most of it to make beef teriyaki tapa. Since I have all the ingredients for beef with broccoli, I decided to use the remaining meat for this purpose. Feel free to use larger portions of sirloin steak as long as you slice it thin.
It will be great if you use fresh broccoli for this recipe. Cut these into small florets, give it a quick wash and let it dry by spinning it using a salad spinner, or simply shake the water off. It is important to use dry broccoli to avoid the oil from splattering when you stir fry these later. Did you know that broccoli is rich in vitamin K?
I will be having this with steamed white rice, so I am not in a rush to cook my side dish because my rice cooker is doing it for me.
Try this classic beef with broccoli recipe. Let me know what you think.
Classic Beef with Broccoli Recipe
- 1 pound sirloin steak sliced thinly (or pre-sliced taco meat)
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce low sodium
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons shoaxing cooking wine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves cloves of minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli cut into florets
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- Combine sugar, garlic powder (or fresh garlic), and corn starch in a bowl. Mix well.
- Add the minced ginger, soy sauce, and cooking wine. Stir until all the ingredients are well blended.
- Arrange the sliced sirloin in a bowl. Pour half of the mixture on the bowl with the beef. Mix well. Cover and let it marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil in a pan. Stir-fry the broccoli for 2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil on the same pan. Put-in the marinated beef. Stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the oyster sauce. Stir fry for 1 minute.
- Pour-in the beef broth and the remaining marinade mixture. Cook while stirring constantly until the liquid evaporates and the texture becomes thick.
- Add the broccoli. Stir fry for 1 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice. Share and enjoy!