This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Sinigang na Pata with Gabi is a version of sinigang na baboy using pork hocks. It is somewhat related to our pork sinigang recipe, except for the extra preparation needed for the pata.
I liked how the dish came out. The pata was very tender and the soup is as sour and delicious as I expected. It was wonderful.
How to Cook Sinigang na Pata with Gabi
Cooking pata or pork hock can be tricky at first. There are preparations needed in order to remove the impurities from hock. In this recipe, I simply boiled the pata for a minimum of 15 minutes and washed it in running water, afterwards.
I suggest using a pressure cooker when cooking sinigang na pata. This makes your task easier and quicker to accomplish. Pour around 6 cups water into a pressure cooker and then add half a teaspoon salt. Put-in the cleaned pata. Please take note that it only needs to be cooked for 12 to 15 minutes. You can go longer if you want to. However, the pork hocks will be very tender to a point where the bones instantly falls-off the meat.
Once the pork hocks are tender, transfer it to a large cooking pot only if your pressure cooker is not large enough to accommodate all the ingredients. I also add around 2 more cups of water. Let it boil completely and add onion and taro. Let this boil in the covered pot for 15 minutes.
Add tomato, Knorr Pork Cube, and Knorr Sinigang sa Sampaloc Recipe Mix. I prefer adding pork cube to provide a solid pork flavor to my sinigang. As for the Sinigang recipe mix, use the 40 gram pack. It should be enough to give you that asim-kilig experience while enjoying the soup later on.
Put all the vegetables in the pot except for the kangkong leaves. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Season with patis and ground black pepper.
I add the kangkong leaves last. Simply add it, cover the pot, and turn the heat off the stove. Let the remaining heat inside the pot cook it for around 1 to 2 minutes.
Enjoy your sinigang with a condiment of fish sauce and crushed spicy chili pepper.
Try this Sinigang na Pata Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 4 lbs. pata
- 1 piece Knorr Pork Cube
- 40 grams Knorr Sinigang sa Sampaloc Recipe Mix
- 1 bunch kangkong
- 1 piece Chinese eggplant sliced
- 12 pieces snake beans sliced in 2 inch length
- 2 pieces tomato wedged
- 3 pieces taro (gabi)sliced in half
- 10 pieces okra
- 1 piece onion sliced
- 3 pieces long green pepper
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fish sauce and ground black pepper to taste
- Pressure cooker
- Boil water in a cooking pot. Add pata. Boil for 15 minutes. Discard the water and clean the pata by washing in running water.
- Pour 6 cups water into a pressure cooker. Add boiled pata and salt. Pressure cook for 12 minutes.
- Transfer everything in a large cooking pot. Add 2 cups water. Let boil.
- Add onion and taro. Cover the pot and boil for 15 minutes.
- Put the tomato into the pot and add Knorr Pork Cube and Knorr Sinigang sa Sampaloc Recipe Mix. Stir. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add long green pepper, eggplant, okra, snake beans, and kangkong stalk. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with ground black pepper and fish sauce.
- Add kangkong leaves. Turn the heat off. Cover the pot and let the residual heat completely cook the leaves.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Share and enjoy!
Watch How to Cook Sinigang na Pata with Gabi