Meatballs are awesome. You can enjoy eating it by itself, or you can make certain dishes using it. Talong bola bola is a type of meatball composed of eggplant and ground pork. This makes a perfect appetizer. It is crisp on the outside and it tastes yummy. I suggest having it with dipping sauce to make your eating experience more pleasurable.
I enjoy eating meatballs. Spaghetti with meatballs and sweet and sour meatballs are some of my favorite meatball dishes. I thought of experimenting by adding a vegetable component to the regular meatballs in order to make it more budget friendly. Since eggplants are fairly priced in the market, this was the first veggie that I thought of using.
It might not sound like your conventional meatball, but there are several reasons why I liked it. Cost is one of these. The overall price to make it is less compared to traditional meatball. I also like the texture. It is crisp on the outside, while soft and nice inside.
Making this dish is easy. The only thing that needs preparation are the eggplants. I first boil the eggplants until soft, and then peel each piece and chop it into small pieces. From there, all the ingredients are combined and the mixture is shaped into a ball. Dredge each ball in breadcrumbs and then deep fry for 8 minutes using low heat.
Talong bola bola is intended as an appetizer dish. However, this can also be enjoyed as a main dish. It goes well with rice. I usually have it withbanana ketchup as a condiment. Make sure to consume it within 15 minutes after frying for best results.
Try this quick and easy talong bola bola recipe. Let me know what you think.
Eggplant Meatballs Talong Bola Bola Recipe
- 2 pieces Chinese eggplant
- 6 ounces ground pork
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 piece onion minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 piece egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cooking oil
- 4 cups water for boiling
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup banana ketchup
- Boil water in a cooking pot. Add eggplant. Cover and continue to boil for 6 minutes or until tender. Remove from the pot and let it cool down. Peel the skin off the eggplant and chop into small pieces.
- Arrange the eggplant in a bowl. Add ground pork, onion, salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder, egg, and all-purpose flour. Mix until all ingredients are well blended.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot using low fire.
- Scoop a portion of the mixture. Dredge in breadcrumbs. Deep-fry for 8 minutes. Remove from the pot and arrange on a wire rack. Note: continue to perform this step until the entire mixture is consumed.
- Prepare the dipping sauce by combining mayonnaise and banana ketchup. Mix well.
- Transfer the fried meatballs and dipping sauce on a serving plate and bowl respectively. Serve. Share and enjoy!