This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Fried chicken is one spectacularly simple dish that makes it to most people’s list of favorite food. Its golden, crunchy exterior is perfect with that juicy and tender center. But we have to admit, it is not the healthiest dish out there, and is something we may have to avoid when we are cutting back on saturated fat. But to curb those cravings, you could go for this Crispy Tofu Fried Chicken with Chicken Gravy recipe!
Complete with the classic sauce we love to have with our fried chicken, this dish is savory, and as the name implies, delightfully crunchy. This is a great way to have your chicken favorite but without, well, the chicken. Substituting that ingredient with tofu gives you iron, calcium, fiber, and more vitamins and minerals.
Let’s get to making our Crispy Tofu Fried Chicken then!
How to Cook Crispy Tofu Fried Chicken with Chicken Gravy
1. Preparing the tofu
The first thing we must do is freeze our 2 lbs. of extra firm tofu. We need to keep this in the freezer overnight, and then take it out. Let the tofu thaw, and then proceed to slice this up into serving pieces. Don’t forget to press on the tofu to extract the liquid.
2. Marinating the tofu
Put your 1 Knorr Chicken Cube in ¾ cups of water. Once it has melted, you can pour 2 teaspoons of Knorr Liquid Seasoning. Put this mixture over your tofu, and then press the tofu down again. This will help in absorbing the marinade. Then we will just let this sit for 10 minutes to marinate. As we are waiting, we can go make our chicken gravy!
3. Making the chicken gravy
Place 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan, and apply heat. Once this has melted, you can incorporate ¼ cup of all-purpose flour. Cook these by stirring them together for 5 to 8 minutes. But you can also stop earlier or later, depending on when the roux, or mixture of flour and fat, gets brown enough. Toss in 1 Knorr Chicken Cube, and stir this into the mixture until it melts.
Then pour 1 ¾ cups of water, and again, stir until everything is well-blended. Sprinkle in ½ teaspoon of onion powder, ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder, and ⅛ teaspoon of ground black pepper. Just keep everything cooking for 1 minute more, and then set your gravy aside.
4. Making the breading
Prepare a mixture of ¾ cup of all-purpose flour, ¼ cup of cornstarch, ¼ teaspoon of baking powder, and some salt and ground black pepper to taste. Then get a cheese grater, and grate the Knorr Chicken Cube we have left into the breading mixture. Mix everything together thoroughly.
5. Breading the tofu
Now just press gently down on the tofu we marinated so we could release the liquid marinade. Dredge each piece of tofu in the flour mixture, and then dip this into a bowl with 2 beaten eggs. Then put it back in the flour mixture, coating each piece.
6. Cooking the tofu
We can now fry the tofu, cooking one side until it is golden brown. Then turn it over so we can fry the other side as well. Afterwards, just remove the tofu from the pan, and arrange this on a serving plate alongside your chicken gravy from earlier. Don’t forget to have this with some rice!
More Vegetarian Tofu Recipes to Check Out
As you can see, tofu is an incredibly versatile ingredient that you can easily use to switch out various types of meat. In this case, you can even make it with your sisig instead of pork! My Crispy Tofu Sisig recipe is actually a vegan one, meaning it does not have animal by-product. And so you can finally serve a sisig dish to friends and family who are vegan with this handy recipe.
Filipinos love to serve the classic sweet and sour fish or pork in gatherings. Not only is it flavorful, but it’s got a great texture to it, thanks to the crispiness of the fish or meat, alongside the thick sweet and sour sauce. You can also try this out the vegan way through my Sweet and Sour Tofu recipe. This is filled with the richness of tomato ketchup, brown sugar, white vinegar and more great seasonings!
Here’s another fun and quick recipe to recreate when you have some tofu at home— Tofu in Black Bean Sauce! You would need just about 30 minutes to make this, and it packs a ton of nutrients. That’s because it is filled with veggies like red bell peppers and bok choy.
I hope you loved frying up your own Crispy Tofu Fried Chicken with some Chicken Gravy! You may give your feedback on this recipe in the comments section.
- 2 lbs. extra firm tofu
- 1 Knorr Chicken Cube
- 2 teaspoons Knorr Liquid Seasoning
- 2 eggs beaten
- ¾ cup water
- 2 cups cooking oil
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Chicken gravy ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 Knorr Chicken Cube
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cup water
- Freeze the tofu overnight. Thaw and slice into serving pieces. Press to extract the liquid from it. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt half of the Knorr chicken cube in ¾ cups water. Add Knorr Liquid seasoning. Pour the mixture over the tofu. Press the tofu to absorb the marinade. Let it stay for 10 minutes.
- While marinating, make the chicken gravy. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add all-purpose flour. Cook in while stirring for 5 to 8 minutes or until the roux browns enough. Add Knorr Chicken Cube. Stir until melted. Pour water into the saucepan. Stir until well blended. Add onion powder, garlic powder, and ground black pepper. Continue cooking for 1 minute. Set aside.
- Combine breading ingredients in a bowl. Using a cheese grater, grate the remaining Knorr chicken cube and combine with the breading mixture. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Gently press the marinated tofu to release the liquid marinade. Dredge it into the flour mixture, dip in beaten egg, and then dredge it back again in flour. Fry one side until golden brown. Turn it over and do the same to the opposite side. Remove from the pan and arrange on a serving plate.
- Serve with chicken gravy and rice. Share and enjoy!