I consider Chicken Barbecue as a variation of Pinoy Pork Barbecue simply because the marinade and procedure are almost the same. The only difference is the type of meat used in each recipe. Although both recipes might be the same, each has its unique flavor that you will surely love.
Chicken Barbecue might look like Chicken Inasal at first glance. However, chicken Inasal is totally different in terms of ingredients and preparation. I like both grilled chicken dishes. They have their own distinctive flavors that cannot be compared.
I grew up eating skewered chicken barbecue. Back then, there was a stretch along Zapote in Las Pinas that sells only this grilled chicken dish. There were more than 20 stalls lined-up, if I remember it correctly. I always like the “pecho” (chicken breast) part because it has more meat compared to the others.
Do you like Chicken Barbecue? What do you eat this with?
Try this Chicken Barbecue Recipe and let me know your thoughts.
Recipe: Chicken Barbecue
- 4 pieces chicken leg quarters, cleaned
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 piece lemon or 4 pieces calamansi
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup banana ketchup
Watch the cooking video:
- Make the marinade by combining the soy sauce, juice of 1 lemon, banana ketchup, salt, and ground black pepper in a bowl. Stir to mix.
- Put the chicken leg quarters inside a large freezer bag, and then pour-in the marinade.
- Shake the bag gently to coat the chicken with marinade then remove the air inside the bag. Seal the bag then refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the bag and transfer the remaining marinade to a bowl.
- Heat-up your grill and start grilling the chicken under medium heat for 12 to 15 minutes per side or until the chicken is completely cooked. Do not forget to baste the chicken with the remaining marinade mixture.
Note: Chicken takes a long time to cook. Grilling it in high heat will cause the outer part of the chicken to cook earlier leaving the inside raw.
- Remove from the grill and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve with steamed rice.
- Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 4