Shepherds Pie is a meat pie made of ground beef, some vegetables, and mashed potato. Some say that this pie dish is a variation of Cottage Pie — which is made of minced beef or lamb. Instead of using mashed potatoes, Cottage pie is traditionally made by topping slices of potatoes over the minced meat. The potato arrangement that looked like tiles of a roof might be the reason why it was called such.
This delicious meat pie recipe is worth all the effort. I’m sure that you will enjoy eating this pie dish during anytime of the day — because I always did. Shepherds pie leftovers works for me too. All I do is microwave it for less than a minute to make it warm and I’m all set. I like to eat my Shepherds pie during dinner. Although it is quite filling, it won’t get you feel bloated as long as you control your portions.
The next time you think of doing something with your ground beef, remember this simple shepherds pie recipe.
Try this Shepherds Pie Recipe and let us know what you think.
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: 6
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 cups mixed vegetables
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Watch the cooking video:
- Heat a cooking pot and melt the butter.
- Put-in the onion when the butter melts, and then cook until the onion becomes soft.
- Add the ground beef and cook until brown (about 5 to 10 minutes)
- Put-in the Worcestershire sauce, salt, ground black pepper, and beef broth. Stir and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Add the mix vegetables. Stir and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Turn-off heat and let it cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Transfer the cooked mixture to a baking tray.
- Arrange the mashed potato over the cooked mixture, and then bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
- Share and enjoy!
Watch the cooking video