Sinangag or Garlic Fried Rice has been a favorite part of every Filipino breakfast. Sinangag can go well with many dishes regardless if these are fried dishes or stews. I personally like to have sinangag with fried salted dried fish such as tuyo, daing, and danggit. Of course, sinangag is also best with tapa, tocino, longganisa, and corned beef.
I used to eat Filipino Garlic Fried rice for breakfast most of the time. I like it with lots of toasted garlic on top. This was the reason why I needed to brush my teeth twice after the meal.
There are days where I get very lazy, but still crave for this dish. I usually do a shortcut by just mixing leftover rice with toasted garlic ( I regularly keep toasted garlic in the fridge sealed in a jar just in case I will need it), add a bit of oil and mix everything, and then cook it in the microwave. The place will smell like garlic so make sure you have proper ventilation in the house.
Tips on How to Cook Sinangag (Filipino Fried Rice)
Although it seems simple to cook sinangag, the success of this fried rice relies on the type and condition of rice that you will use. Based on my experience, it is best to use the non sticky rice varieties. Jasmine rice or long grain rice works good for me, and it is even better if these are left over rice from the previous day. You see, leftover rice will be less sticky and it is not that soft compared to newly cooked rice.
Another thing that you should be cognizant of is the ratio of oil vs. rice. Make sure not to put too much oil as it will make the entire dish oily and unpleasant. It is now time for you to make sinangag. Let me know if you have questions by posting a comment below.
Try this Sinangag Recipe. Enjoy!
- 3 cups cooked white rice (leftover Jasmine rice is preferred)
- 5 cloves crushed garlic
- 2½ tablespoons cooking oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Heat the cooking oil in a wide pan.
- While the cooking oil is being heated, add the crushed garlic. Note: make sure that the oil is not hot when you add the garlic. Let the garlic slowly cook while the oil gets heated until it becomes golden brown and crisp.
- Add-in the rice; gently stir to distribute the ingredients. Continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the salt over the rice and continue to mix all the ingredients gently. Cook for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with your favorite entrée.
- Share and enjoy!