Chicken Teriyaki, Brown Rice, and Sunny Side Up Egg Recipe sounds like a good idea for lunch or breakfast – if you intend to eat something heavy for breakfast. This is a complete meal that can satisfy your hungry tummy anytime of the day. I’m not sure if there is a short name for this meal – something like tapsilog or longsilog, so I decided to use the long name instead. As long as its name is the satisfaction and gastronomic pleasure that this dish can provide you; all you have to do is get the ingredients ready and go straight to the kitchen.
Do not get intimidated with this dish because this is not hard to cook. There are three main items that you will need to prepare: the chicken, rice, and fried egg. I suggest that you start with the chicken teriyaki because this takes a while to setup. Make the marinade from the recipe below and start to marinate the chicken as early as possible so that the chicken can absorb the flavor. This will make your chicken teriyaki flavorful. Next is to cook the brown rice.
How to Cook Brown Rice
Cooking brown rice is not difficult either. The first thing that you need to do is to wash the rice with running water to ensure that all impurities are removed. Once the rice is cleaned, you can decide whether you will use a rice cooker to cook the brown rice or do it the manual way – which is by using a cooking pot and a timer.
If you decide to use a rice cooker, all you have to do is to combine 1 cup of cleaned brown rice with 2 cups of water. Cover the rice cooker, plug it in the electric outlet, and turn it on. Wait until the rice cooker beeps to indicate that the rice is cooked. Pretty easy, isn’t it.
Now comes the manual part. Grab a cooking pot and boil 2 1/2 cups water. When the water starts to boil, put-in the cleaned rice and cover the pot. Wait for the water to boil again and then reduce the heat to low. Cook for 5 minutes and then turn the heat to a simmer. Continue to cook for 18 to 20 minutes. Make sure that you check on the rice to see if it will need more water. You will know that the rice is uncooked if you feel that the center is still somewhat hard when you nibble on it. What you can do is to cover it and continue to simmer for a few more minutes. If the rice is dry, add more water (start with 1/2 cup) until the rice gets that nice soft texture.
How to Cook Sunny Side Up Egg
Cooking Sunny Side Up Egg is simple. Here is one of my methods: Heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a frying pan (non-tick pan is better). Set the heat to low. Crack the egg into the pan with hot oil. Wait for the egg whites to slowly form. Try to adjust the heat to a simmer if the whites start to burn. Sprinkle salt over the egg. When the egg whites turn into a stable solid form, you are done. Some people want the egg yolk to be somewhat stable too. I do this by covering the pan for a few minutes to trap the heat. This will cook the yolk a bit making the texture a bit stable.
Try this Chicken Teriyaki, Brown Rice, and Sunny Side Up Egg Recipe. Have a great time cooking!
Chicken Teriyaki, Brown Rice, and Sunny Side Up Egg Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons Mirin or cooking wine
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 eggs cooked sunny side up
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Make the marinade by combining the soy sauce, brown sugar, Mirin (or cooking wine), water, and garlic powder. Stir until all the ingredients are properly distributed.
- Place the chicken breasts in a Ziploc bag or in a bowl. Mix-in the marinade. Seal the bag and put inside the refrigerator. Marinate for at least 1 hour (overnight is better).
- Heat the grill. Grill the marinated chicken for 4 to 7 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reads 165F. You can flip the chicken twice while grilling each side for half the time per rotation to avoid one side from getting burnt.
- Arrange the cooked brown rice in a bowl. Put-in the grilled chicken teriyaki over the rice and top with sunny side up egg. Sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on top of the chicken.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!