Crispy Cabbage Rolls
Every Filipino cook knows that there are plenty of things you can do with the handy repolyo, also known as cabbage. We often see it in stew recipes as they give an added layer of texture to various other components from fellow vegetables to meat. But the tasty cruciferous veggie can really shine once given…
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Every Filipino cook knows that there are plenty of things you can do with the handy repolyo, also known as cabbage. We often see it in stew recipes as they give an added layer of texture to various other components from fellow vegetables to meat. But the tasty cruciferous veggie can really shine once given the chance. Just take a bite out of these Crispy Cabbage Rolls!
When I heard of this dish, it truly inspired me to get creative with my cabbage, and upgrade the recipe a bit. Just based on the name, you might be able to guess what it is we will be working with. But just to give you a clue, this is essentially a savory cabbage wrap made with a meaty, flavorful filling. And to give it an audible crisp, the cabbage is coated with crunchy panko breadcrumbs. Making it might sound more complex than a lettuce wrap, but it is not that tedious. In fact, you might enjoy the process.
Before we talk about recreating that dish, let me introduce you to some other recipes you can try should you end up with some extra repolyo.
More Tasty Cabbage Dishes
Enriched with beef broth, and combined with well-seasoned pork slices, Ginisang Repolyo is the perfect healthy and filling dish for a simple lunch meal.
But if you want something cozy and warm to pair with your dish, I suggest whipping up this quick and easy Cabbage Soup. Truly a recipe that tastes like it was made with love, it gets a lot of its savor from organic tomato sauce, as well as garlic.
Corned Beef with Cabbage and Potato
Why not upgrade your simple corned beef by giving it a boost of nutrition? This Corned Beef with Cabbage and Potato recipe utilizes the natural meatiness and flavor of canned corned beef.
We are now familiar with the many ways you could go about cooking your cabbage. Come, and learn how to make them the deliciously crispy way then!
How to Cook Crispy Cabbage Rolls
Preparing the cabbage
Our first step would be pouring 4 cups of water into a cooking pot. Apply some heat, and just let this boil. Then you must sprinkle in 1 teaspoon of salt. Place your12 Napa cabbage leaves inside, and then boil this for 1 minute. Afterwards, you need to put some cold water inside a large bowl. Transfer your cabbage from the pot, and submerge this in the cold water until it cools. Once it does, take it out of the bowl, and let it dry.
Making the meat filling
Put 3 tablespoons of cooking oil in a pan, and heat this up. It is now time to add 5 cloves of garlic you’ve chopped, and sauté this. When it begins to brown, you can add 1 onion you’ve chopped. Continue cooking until the onion gets soft, and then you can integrate 1 lb. of ground pork. Keep stirring as you are cooking this until the pork becomes light brown. Then add 1 Knorr Pork Cube. We will cook the mixture for 2 minutes, and then sprinkle in as much salt and ground black pepper as we would prefer for the flavor of the dish. Then just transfer everything to a large bowl, and proceed to let it cool.
Mixing in a few final ingredients
We now just need to integrate ½ cup of minced carrots, ½ cup of minced green onion, 1 egg, 5 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, and 2 teaspoons of sesame oil. Mix these components thoroughly into our large bowl with the rest of the filling ingredients.
Putting the filling in the cabbage
Your next step would be to scoop 3 tablespoons of your meat mixture. Then put this over a piece of Napa cabbage. Fold both sides of the cabbage inwards, and just roll this until the filling is covered entirely. And to make sure it does not fall out, we must insert a toothpick into the cabbage roll.
Coating then frying the cabbage rolls
Go ahead, and heat up 1 cup of cooking oil in a pan. As we are waiting, we can just prepare our cabbage rolls by putting ½ cup of all-purpose flour, 2 beaten eggs, and 1 ½ cups of panko breadcrumbs in separate bowls. Dredge the cabbage roll in the all-purpose flour. Afterwards, dip this into your beaten egg, and then lastly, dredge it in panko breadcrumbs until it is coated completely.
Then once the oil is hot, you can toss the cabbage roll into the pan, and fry one side until it turns golden brown in color. Then just flip it over, and repeat that step for the other side.
Arranging and serving the Crispy Cabbage Rolls
Now that your cabbage rolls are cooked, you can transfer them to a plate lined with some paper towels. You could also use a wire rack to get rid of the excess oil. Just let everything cool.
Now you can slice up the cabbage rolls into bite-sized pieces, and serve them alongside any dipping sauce you would like!
What do you think of this recipe? Leave your feedback in the comments section below!
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag us on Instagram at @panlasangpinoy or hashtag #panlasangpinoy so we can see your creations!
Crispy Cabbage Rolls
- 12 Napa cabbage Leaves
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups ice cold water
- 1 ½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Knorr Pork Cube
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup carrot minced
- ½ cup green onion minced
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Boil 4 cups of water in a cooking pot. Add 1 teaspoon salt.
- Put the Napa cabbage in the pot. Boil for 1 minute. Pour cold water in a large bowl. Remove the cabbage from the pot and submerge it into the cold water until it cools-down. Remove and dry the cabbage. Set aside.
- Cook the meat filling by heating 3 tablespoons of cooking oil in a pan. Sauté the garlic until it starts to brown. Add onion. Cook until the onion softens. Add the ground pork and continue cooking while stirring until the pork turns light brown. Add Knorr Pork Cube and then cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Transfer to a large bowl. Let it cool down.
- Add minced carrot, minced green onion, egg, all-purpose flour, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Mix well.
- Scoop 3 tablespoons of the meat mixture and arrange it over a piece of Napa cabbage. Secure the filling by folding both sided of the cabbage inwards and roll until the filling is completely covered. Secure by inserting a toothpick into the cabbage roll.
- Start to fry the cabbage rolls by heating cooking oil in a pan. Meanwhile, dredge the cabbage roll in all-purpose flour, dip in beaten egg, and dredge in panko breadcrumbs until completely coated. Fry one side until it turns golden brown. Turn it over and do the same on the opposite side. Remove from the pan place over a plate lined with paper towel or on a wire rack. Let it cool down.
- Slice the cabbage rolls into bite-sized pieces. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce. Share and enjoy!
Leave a Comment