Eggplant fries are a great and quick way to enjoy a delicious and nutritious merienda. Many people tend not to enjoy eggplant because of its slimy texture; admittedly it’s not everyone’s favorite vegetable to find on the dining table. But these crunchy, crispy fries are a sure winner for both kids and adults.
What makes this even better is that eggplant fries are so easy to make; this recipe is perfect for those who want a quick snack to recharge them after being on the go.
All About Eggplant
Eggplants are one of the most versatile ingredients out there. Similar to tomatoes, they can be cooked in a variety of ways –– used in soups, barbecued, or even made an omelet. Apart from eggplant fries, here are some of the other delicious eggplant dishes that are easy to make:
- Eggplant Salad (or Ensaladang Talong) is a simple salad that makes the perfect accompaniment to grilled dishes. This is another quick and easy dish to prepare, made with tomatoes and onions. Light and refreshing, it’s the ideal accompaniment to crispy pata or lechon kawali.
- Are you a chicken parmesan fan? Then you might enjoy this baked Eggplant Parmesan recipe. Its preparation method is similar to that of lasagna’s, but the key ingredients of this recipe are the eggplant, cheese, and delicious marinara sauce.
- Fans of omelets or torta will definitely enjoy having Tortang Talong for lunch or dinner. To give it that extra twist in flavor, you can enjoy your tortang talong with sardines, too!
- But if you want to keep it simple, you can’t go wrong with a great steamed eggplant topped with bagoong or shrimp paste. This takes more or less 15 minutes, and already is a filling enough meal to eat with a cup of rice.
Not only are eggplants a great companion in the kitchen, but they’re also a gold mine of vitamins and nutrients. Eggplant can provide people with an abundance of potassium, manganese, and vitamins K and C –– all important to the body. By having a lot of manganese in your system, eggplant provides natural antioxidants to help your body fight disease. It also helps in maintaining a balanced diet and improving heart, brain, and bone health.
Eggplant’s texture may make it an acquired taste, but it is definitely one of the most important vegetables you could have in your diet. These eggplant fries, although fried in oil, can make your body both healthy and happy. Follow this easy eggplant fries recipe and get your eggplant fix today.
How to Cook Crispy Eggplant Fries
You’re going to need four separate bowls for this crispy eggplant fries recipe –– one for each ingredient. Start by slicing your eggplant into thick strips. Place them in one of the bowls, setting it aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Crack your egg into one of the other bowls. Beat it until you’ve achieved that smooth texture. Your flour and breadcrumbs should also get their own respective bowls. Once you’ve prepared all of these, it’s time to start actually cooking your eggplant fries.
Heat 1 ½ cups of cooking oil up in a pot. Coat one of your eggplant fries in flour, then dip it in the egg and roll it across the breadcrumbs. Make sure that you’ve evenly spread and coated the breadcrumbs across the entire eggplant strip.
Put your coated eggplant in the cooking pot. Fry in medium heat until the color of the crumbs is a beautiful golden brown. Afterwards, place the strip on a clean plate with a paper towel atop it. Because you’re using a lot of oil for these eggplant fries, you’ll need the paper towel to soak up any unnecessary grease. Continue this process of frying until you’ve used up all your eggplant slices.
While waiting for the paper towel to soak up your eggplant fries’ oil, it’s time to prepare your dipping sauce. You can use any type of sauce you wish –– like ketchup or mayonnaise –– but I recommend this one. Combine mayonnaise, banana ketchup, and tabasco sauce in one bowl and mix well. Add onion and garlic powder, as well as salt, to your liking.
Once the oil has been soaked up, transfer your eggplant fries to another clean plate –– and there you have it! Share and enjoy your crispy eggplant fries with your family as a good appetizer or merienda.
Let us know what you think!
How to Cook Crispy Eggplant Fries
- 1 piece eggplant sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 piece egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups cooking oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons banana ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon tabasco sauce
- Onion powder to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- Salt to taste
- Slice eggplant into thick strips. Place everything in a bowl.
- Crack eggs on a clean bowl. Whisk until smooth. Arrange flour and breadcrumbs on separate bowls each. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot. Dredge a strip of eggplant in flour. Dip in beaten egg, and then roll over Panko breadcrumbs.
- Fry in medium heat until the color of the crumbs turns golden brown. Note: perform this step until all eggplant slices are consumed. Place on a clean plate lined with paper towel.
- Make the dipping sauce by combining all sauce ingredients. Mix well.
- Arrange talong fries on a serving plate and serve with dipping sauce.
- Serve as an appetizer. Share and enjoy!