Crispy Liempo Sinigang Rice
Crispy Liempo Sinigang Rice with Vegetable Tempura is my take on soup-less sinigang. It has the same good and asim-kilig sinigang flavor, with a great texture that I really love. I am telling you now that this is worth your time and effort. How to Cook Crispy Liempo Sinigang Rice There are three procedures involved…
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Crispy Liempo Sinigang Rice with Vegetable Tempura is my take on soup-less sinigang. It has the same good and asim-kilig sinigang flavor, with a great texture that I really love. I am telling you now that this is worth your time and effort.
How to Cook Crispy Liempo Sinigang Rice
There are three procedures involved in the entire process. The first is cooking the rice. It has to be cooked using the sinigang broth, and then stir-fried later-on with other ingredients. The next procedure is marinating and frying the pork belly (also known as liempo) until golden brown and crispy. Lastly, the veggies are coated in tempura batter and fried until crispy.
It might seem like a daunting task at first. Don’t be intimidated. You should be able to make and taste this delicious meal by following the step-by-step procedure below. I also made sure to explain everything clearly in the video so that you can be guided accordingly.
Start by making the sinigang broth. I know that this is supposed to be a soup-less, but the broth is needed to cook the rice. This is where all the sinigang flavors will be.
Boil water in a cooking pot and add the liempo. I usually boil the meat for 30 minutes in low to medium heat before adding the Knorr Sinigang Recipe Mix. I cannot stop telling you how convenient it is to make sinigang dishes with this ingredient. It also has the right amount of sourness that my family loves. Continue boiling for the next 15 minute or until the meat gets tender.
The next thing to do is to remove the liempo from the pot and let it cool down. Meanwhile, cook the rice using the sinigang broth. Add a teaspoon of patis for additional flavor. I use a rice cooker for the purpose of conveniece. Don’t hesitate to cook the rice using the traditional way, if preferred.
After setting the rice cooker to “cook mode”, I go ahead and prepare the belly. It has to have more flavor, so I season it with fish sauce (patis). Give it a good 15 minutes before frying.
Dredge the pork in cornstarch and then fry each side for until crispy and golden brown. The starch helps make it crisper.
Start to stir-fry the rice once it cooks. Simply heat oil and saute onion and green beans. Add some sliced long green pepper. Put the cooked rice into the pan and cook for around 2 minutes. Season it with ground black pepper and paprika.
We are almost done. Complete the process by making vegeteble tempura. Pay attention to the recipe below. It cannot be altered, unless you plan on doing it using other methods. Steps 6 and 7 should give you all the details that you need.
Assemble your sinigang rice on a plate. Try this Crispy Liempo Sinigang Rice Recipe. Enjoy!
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag us on Instagram at @panlasangpinoy or hashtag #panlasangpinoy so we can see your creations!
Crispy Liempo Sinigang Rice
- 1 ½ lbs. pork belly sliced
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- ¾ cup cooking oil
- 22 g Knorr Sinigang sa Sampaloc original mix
- 1 ½ cups rice
- 8 pieces long green beans chopped
- 1 piece onion diced
- 1 piece long green pepper sliced
- 3 cups water
- Ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Prepare the sinigang broth by boiling water in a cooking pot. Add pork belly. Cover the pot and continue boiling using low to medium heat for 30 minutes. Note: add more water as needed.
- Add Knorr Sinigang sa sampaloc (original mix). Stir. Cover the pot and continue boiling in medium heat for 15 minutes. Remove the pork from the pot and let it cool down.
- Start to cook the sinigang rice by washing the rice. Drain water. Pour sinigang broth into the rice cooker while filtering using a kitchen sieve. Cook until done. Note: you can use a rice cooker, or do the traditional way of cooking rice.
- While the rice is cooking, prep the pork by placing it in a resealable bag. Add fish sauce. Marinate for 15 minutes. Heat oil in a pan and then dredge the pork in cornstarch. Fry each side until it turns golden brown and crispy. Place in a plate lined with paper towel. Set aside.
- Time to stir-fry the rice. Heat oil in a pan. Add onion and cook for 30 seconds. Put the chopped long green beans and continue cooking for 1 ½ minutes. Add sliced long green pepper and cooked rice. Stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes. Finish by seasoning with ground black pepper and paprika. Set aside.
- Make the vegetable tempura by heating oil to 360F. Combine the batter ingredients starting from the egg yolk and water. Mix well. Add ice cubes and then put-in the cake flour. Mix by holding 4 pieces of chopsticks and mix using a stabbing motion for 30 to 35 seconds. Note: the mixture should be lumpy, not smooth.
- Dredge the vegetables in cake flour and then dip in the batter. Fry each side for 2 to 3 minutes. Note: the spinach should only be fried for not more than 1 minute.
- Arrange the sinigang rice on a serving plate. Top with crispy liempo and serve with vegetable tempura.Share and enjoy!
Leave a Comment