Fish sinigang or sinigang na isda is a type of Filipino fish soup wherein fish is cooked in a sour broth together with a variety of vegetables. This version makes use of fried red snapper (also known as maya-maya).
How to Cook Fish Sinigang
Sinigang is one of the easiest Filipino dishes to make. I recommend this to everyone, especially those who have little to no cooking experience. You should be able to cook this dish as long as you follow the steps below. Don’t forget to watch the cooking video for guidance.
Unlike regular sinigang na isda, this version makes use of fried fish. I intentionally fried fresh fish to make sinigang because it adds more flavor. Compared to using raw fish, having fried fish when cooking sinigang makes a huge difference. Try it to see.
Before frying, I sprinkled the fish slices with salt and rubbed it all over. This adds flavor to the fish. Allow the fish to absorb the salt by letting it stay for 15 minutes before frying.
When frying fish, make sure that the oil is hot enough before putting the fish into the pan. Have a pan cover or splatter screen ready to prevent oil from splattering all over your stove. Fry the fish until it turns golden brown. Turn it over and then do the same thing on the other side. Once done, transfer the fish to a clean plate. Set it aside for now.
Start to cook the soup by boiling water in a large pot. Add tomato, onion, and Daikon radish. Boil for around 5 minutes and then add the souring agent, which is Knorr Sinigang sa Sampaloc Mix. Stir and then add the fried fish. I usually cook the fish in low to medium heat for 7 to 8 minutes. There is no need to cook the fish longer because it has been already fried to begin with.
Add the vegetables, except for the spinach. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes and then season with fish sauce and ground black pepper. Add the spinach last. Continue cooking for 2 minutes.
This dish is best served warm with rice.
Try this yummy Fish Sinigang Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 2 lbs fish sliced (as needed)
- 40 g Knorr Sinigang sa Sampaloc Mix Original
- 2 pieces tomato cubed
- 1 cup Daikon radish sliced
- 1 piece onion wedged
- 3 cups spinach
- 10 pieces okra
- 2 pieces eggplant sliced
- 2 pieces long green pepper
- 2 quarts water
- 2 cup cooking oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons salt
- Fish sauce and ground black pepper to taste
- Slice the fish as needed. Sprinkle salt all over the fish slices and then rub all over. Let it stay for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry the fish slices until golden brown. Turn it over and perform the same step on the opposite side. Remove fish from the pan. Place in a clean plate. Set aside.
- Boil water in a large cooking pot. Add tomato, onion, and radish. Continue boiling for 5 minutes.
- Add Knorr Sinigang sa Sampaloc Mix. Stir.
- Put the fried fish slices into the pot. Let the liquid boil. Adjust the heat between low to medium. Continue boiling for 7 minutes.
- Add eggplant and long green peppers. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add okra. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Season with ground black pepper and fish sauce.
- Put the fresh spinach into the pot. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve warm. Share and enjoy!