This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
With tender, juicy beef strips and a delightfully creamy sauce, beef stroganoff is one of the best comfort foods out there. You can’t go wrong with its perfect combination of beef and mushrooms over warm pasta or rice. The addition of sour cream lends a nice twist, cutting through the richness of the mushrooms and butter otherwise. Garlicky and sweet, you and your family will be craving this long after you’ve emptied your plate!
The dish has Russian roots, its name derived from the then powerful Stroganoff family. But since its inception, beef stroganoff’s popularity has spread internationally. The dish has found its way to kitchens across the world –– and with this recipe, it can find its way to yours!
Who doesn’t love beef? This meat can make or break a dish, depending on whether or not you cook it effectively. One of the worst things that can ever happen to a meal is biting into a slice of beef and finding it either too tough or too dry! This is why in beef stroganoff, we try to use slices that are as thin as possible. If you’re looking for a more cost efficient option for your beef instead of sirloin, ground beef works fine, too.
If you love meat as much as I do, here are some other warm and comforting meat dishes you can try at home:
- Gumbo is a wonderful mix of meat and vegetables, tossed together in a large pan. The whole process takes a little over an hour; if you have a lot of time to prepare dinner, you can definitely try to make this dish! It’s a great comfort food to have with your whole family, especially if you want to try something new.
- Conversely, if you don’t have a lot of time to fix something up for dinner, try this quick and easy Beef and Pepper Stir Fry! Stir frying means to cook one or more ingredients on high heat with little oil. This requires no prior cooking experience at all; you’ll be serving up some tasty beef in no time!
- What goes better with cold, rainy weather than a nice, warm bowl of soup? This is where my Spicy Beef Noodle recipe can come in. If you love beef mami, you’ll definitely be a fan of this spicy, flavorful dish. It takes a while to make –– about as long as gumbo –– but your taste buds will be thanking you afterwards! Enjoy this with a nice warm siopao asado, too.
Enjoying beef can come in so many different forms and cuisines –– but this beef stroganoff remains to be one of my favorite ways to enjoy this protein. Try this recipe now; you won’t regret it.
How to Make Your Beef Stroganoff
The first step to making your stroganoff is to perfect your roux. Roux is basically a mixture of flour and fat (in the form of oil or butter, typically), designed to make sauces thicker. The ratio of flour and fat in roux is 1:1.
Start making your roux by melting 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan, then add in your 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour. Also include 1 piece of Knorr Beef Cube stir together. Let this cook in your saucepan for about 3 to 5 minutes as you continuously stir. Pour about 2 cups of water into the saucepan and incorporate all your ingredients well. Once they’re well blended, turn the heat off and set your roux aside.
Heat 3 tablespoons of cooking oil up in a clean pan, and saute your sliced onion and button mushrooms. Once your onions soften, add in your beef sirloin. For this recipe, I use 1 lb, cut into thin pieces. Because they’re thin pieces, saute them for only 3 minutes, or until they turn a light brown –– whichever comes first. We don’t want our beef stroganoff to overcook, after all.
Pour in the roux you made earlier and stir, letting it continue to cook for about 3 minutes. Keep your heat on medium all throughout, stirring the mixture every once in a while.
Bring your heat down to a low and add in half a cup of sour cream. Your sauce should thicken by now, the scent absolutely mouthwatering! Season your beef stroganoff with salt and black pepper to taste.
Once your beef stroganoff sauce has reached the desired thickness, top it over your carb of choice! Personally, I like to enjoy beef stroganoff over a serving of egg noodles, cooked according to package instructions. However, you can also top it over a nice bed of white rice or pasta noodles.
Share and enjoy this beef stroganoff with your loved ones! Let us know what you think of this awesome beef stroganoff recipe.
- 1 lb. beef sirloin sliced into thin pieces
- 1 piece onion sliced
- 8 ounces button mushroom
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 lb. egg noodles cooked according to package instructions
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 piece Knorr Beef Cube
- 2 cups water
- Make the roux by melting butter in a saucepan. Add flour and Knorr Beef Cubes. Continuously stir while cooking for 3 to 5 minutes. Pour water into the saucepan. Stir until all ingredients are well blended. Turn the heat off. Set roux aside.
- On a clean pan, heat oil. Saute onion and mushroom until the onion softens.
- Add beef. Saute for 3 minutes or until light brown.
- Pour-in roux. Stir. Continue cooking in medium heat for 3 minutes. Stir the mixture once in a while.
- Adjust heat to low. Add sour cream and season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Top over egg noodles. You can also have this with rice or pasta.
Watch how to cook it