Pinoy cooks really just love playing with rice, which likely stems from the natural love we have for this handy ingredient. This is why we have adapted plenty of great standalone rice dishes, such as paella. But what if you had this flavorful classic with a tasty Filipino favorite? That’s where our Sisig Paella comes in!
This recipe is the answer to your simultaneous cravings for the ever so savory sisig, and the rich paella. As I said earlier, this is basically the combination of two very well-loved dishes. Sisig uses a lot of parts of the pig, which we then mince for a meal that’s both easy to eat, and is just absolutely delicious. We’ve got the flavors of onions and chili peppers for some spice that isn’t too heavy.
And on the other end, we also utilize the techniques to create paella. This is a recipe made mainly of rice, and a long list of delicious ingredients. This can include the likes of seafood, veggies and meat. It originates from Spain, but it has slowly grown into a worldwide phenomenon. The Philippines, in particular, is one of the countries that have appreciated it most with its fair share of local renditions. And one of the best, in my opinion, is this perfect twist on two lovable recipes.
What does sisig paella taste like?
Hearty, meaty, and just absolutely irresistible, you can expect a party of flavors in this Sisig Paella. I understand though if there is some worry over the spiciness I mentioned earlier. But this actually will not have too much of a kick because we will not be using every single ingredient often used in sisig. After all, we don’t want too enormous an amount of flavor in the overall recipe.
But you can expect the right amount of saltiness, and an umami taste from seasonings and spices like onion, garlic, Know Liquid Seasoning, and much more. There is also a nice variety in textures with the satisfying crunch brought about by sliced bell peppers, as well as some soft quail eggs. Here’s a look at what you will need to grab in the market for this recipe!
Ingredients in Sisig Paella
You can’t have the classic sisig without a bit of pork belly. We will need 1 lb. for this recipe, and as for prepping the ingredient, you will first need to grill the pork. Afterwards, dice this up to make bits of meat to fit our sisig.
Knorr Pork Cube
The key to a great paella is the perfect mix of seasonings and spices to really boost the flavor of the rice. That is why we will need 1 Knorr Pork Cube in completing the dish.
Chorizo de Bilbao
Our meat ingredients don’t stop at the pork belly. Since we are making paella, you will surely need some Chorizo de Bilbao to provide a unique and subtle spice to our dish. And because we usually just mix this into our rice, you will need to dice up 1 piece for the recipe.
For a bit of protein, as well as a satisfyingly salty taste, gather 5 quail eggs. The size of these smaller eggs are perfect as they mix in nicely with our diced up ingredients, and they are not too flavorful to overpower the dish.
This is already a given, but you will need 2 cups of paella rice.As for the specific kind of rice we use for this, there are different varieties that would work. But I would definitely recommend going for short grain rice to really go the authentic route. And if you can get your hands on them, the best type would be Bomba Rice.
Knorr Liquid Seasoning
For an added sense of flavor in our rice, we will need 3 teaspoons of Knorr Liquid Seasoning.
And since we are working with rice, you will surely be needing some water. Exactly 3 ½ cups are required for this dish.
This makes for the perfect topping to your Sisig Paella. Prepare ¼ cup of green onions, which we will also be chopping.
Paella has Spanish origins, and so you can expect flavors from the beloved cuisine to reflect in this dish. One of the ingredients that are essential to this is smoked paprika with its notes of spice and sweetness.
Long green pepper
We’ve got a pretty good variety of vegetables in this dish as well. You will need 2 long green peppers, which we must slice up.
Red bell pepper
And for a bit of crunchy sweetness, you should also have ¼ cup of red bell pepper onhand. Then we can chop these up to later mix them into our delicious paella rice.
Go ahead, and mince 1 onion for added seasoning as well.
And we will also get 4 cloves of garlic for this dish. Just like with our onion, we will need to mince these cloves.
Thankfully, this dish will not be too oily. We will only utilize 3 tablespoons of cooking oil for Sisig Paella.
A touch of refreshing zestiness is always welcome in a dish. Get 1 lemon, which we must slice into wedges.
Lady’s Choice Mayonnaise
A large factor in making a great sisig dish is the rich, savory dressing. And to get it all nice and creamy, we will be making use of some mayonnaise. Set aside ¾ cup of Lady’s Choice Mayonnaise for the dressing.
Knorr Liquid Seasoning
Another delightful element to our dressing, Knorr Liquid Seasoning is perfect for more saltiness. That’s why we also use this for our paella rice as mentioned earlier. Use just 2 ½ teaspoons for the dressing.
How to Make Sisig Paella
Step 1: Preparing and sautéing the meat
First, we have to make sure that the meat components we are working with are nice and cooked, but are not burnt either.
- Onion and garlic – Start off by pouring your cooking oil into the pan or pot, and letting this heat up. Now we can add our onion and garlic. And then sauté these ingredients together just until we’ve gotten the onion to soften.
- Cooking the meat – Incorporate your chorizo, pork belly and Knorr Pork Cube into the mix now. We will sauté what is in our pan again, but just for 1 minute. Then integrate your paella rice, and continue cooking as you stir everything. Do this for 1 minute.
Step 2: Cooking the rice
We’ve already got our rice in the pot, and so we just need to add a few more ingredients to spruce up the flavor of the paella rice.
- Water, seasoning and bell pepper – Place all of your water inside the pot. Add your Knorr Liquid Seasoning and red bell pepper, and just stir everything together.
- Letting the rice cook – Place the cover on top, and just let the heat do the work. Once your rice is done, we can proceed to the next step.
Step 3: Integrating some more seasonings
- Toppings – By this time, you can put the green onions on top. Crack your eggs open as well, and use this to top the rice like our green onions. We will also integrate our long green peppers, and then cover the pot like earlier.
- Keep this cooking for 2 minutes.
Step 4: Working on the dressing
While we wait, you can do the very simple process of making your dressing.
- Mixing dressing ingredients – Just put your Lady’s Choice Mayonnaise and Knorr Liquid Seasoning together in a container, and mix these well.
- Topping the dish off with dressing – Now once the two minutes for cooking time are up, you can execute the satisfying step of drizzling the dressing all over the dish.
- Top with lemon – Finish things off by placing your lemon wedges on the Sisig Paella.
What to Serve with Sisig Paella
Sisig Paella is a terrific, delicious dish that can definitely stand on its own. But should you be preparing a bit of a feast at home, you may also be looking for dishes that taste nicely with this one. Let’s have a look at more recipes then!
When you’re chowing down on something as hearty and filled with flavor as Sisig Paella, you may need something with a lighter flavor to freshen up your palate. That’s why I would recommend having this with some salad, particularly this Broccoli Bacon Salad that has just the right amount of crispiness and sourness.
Perhaps grilled chicken is the way to go for you when it comes to salad. Here is a quick and simple side dish that is perfect for your Sisig Paella— Easy Chicken Caesar Salad! This is both nutritious and filling, and it has a satisfying crunch in our croutons, plus a nice and subtle taste in parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. And since this is a pretty simple recipe, you can actually play around with it, and try to add more of your favorite salad ingredients.
Is any meal complete without a bit of dessert? I figured that a bit of sweetness would fit perfectly with the very savory flavor of our main dish. And the best way to go would be to whip up some of your own Egg Pie! This is a classic Filipino favorite that is known for its satisfyingly smooth texture, and that nice and brown crust. Another benefit to making this is that it won’t be too much of a hassle to fit into your schedule. The total time of recreating this is less than an hour!
Got any questions about making your Sisig Paella? Leave them in the comments below, and I will try to attend to them for you!
- 1 lb. pork belly grilled and diced
- 1 Knorr Pork Cube
- 1 chorizo de Bilbao diced
- 5 quail eggs
- 2 cups paella rice
- 3 teaspoons Knorr Liquid Seasoning
- 3 ½ cups water
- ¼ cups green onions chopped
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 long green pepper sliced
- ¼ cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1 onion minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 lemon wedged
- ¾ cup Lady’s Choice Mayonnaise
- 2 ½ teaspoons Knorr Liquid Seasoning
- Heat oil. Sauté onion and garlic until the onion softens.
- Add chorizo, pork belly, and Knorr Pork Cube. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the paella rice. Cook for 1 minute while stirring.
- Pour the water into the pan and add Knorr Liquid Seasoning and bell pepper. Stir. Cover the pot. Continue cooking until the rice is done.
- Sprinkle green onions on top. Crack the eggs and top over the rice. Add long green pepper. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Combine the dressing ingredients and drizzle over the sisig paella. Serve with lemon wedges.
- Share and enjoy!