Pepper Steak is a quick and easy beef stir fry recipe that involves thinly sliced sirloin steak along with bell pepper and onion. This is the perfect dish to serve during lunchtime. It will be better if you serve it with yang chow fried rice.
Since this is a stir-fry dish, the cooking time is fast. The meat needs to be marinated in seasoning though to ensure that it absorbs all the necessary flavor before cooking. Tender steaks are required for this recipe because there is not enough time to tenderize the beef. However, you may use less tender beef parts as long as you tenderize it after slicing. I pound the sliced beef with a meat tenderizer tool to make it more tender.
Adding a bit of Sriracha sauce or a dash of cayenne pepper powder can help to make this dish spicy. Enjoy!
Try this Pepper Steak Recipe. Let me know what you think!
- 2 lbs beef sirloin, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeds removed and sliced lengthwise
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeds removed and sliced lengthwise
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 5 teaspoons soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cooking wine (Sherry or Shaoxing)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Salt to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine beef, soy sauce, cooking wine, ground black pepper, garlic powder, and cornstarch. Mix well and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat a wok and then pour-in the cooking oil. Stir fry the marinated beef in batches of 2 or 3 for 3 minutes. Cooking in batches preserves the heat which is essential in stir fry; it also cooks the meat equally. Place the cooked beef in a plate. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, using the remaining oil, stir fry the onion and bell peppers for 2 minutes.
- Add-in the cooked beef. Toss and stir fry for 1 to 2 minutes more adding salt and soy sauce as needed.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve!
- Share and enjoy!