Binagoongang Talong with Lechon Kawali or Sauteed Eggplant in Shrimp Paste with Crispy Deep Fried Pork Belly can be considered as a Crispy Binagoongan version. This dish is awesome. It is full of flavor and has that crispy texture from the lechon kawali (or bagnet) that makes an inviting sound in every bite.
Obviously, I like how this dish tastes. I even liked the idea that it is easy to make. Cooking the binagoongang talong does not take much time. The lechon kawali might take a while to prepare. If you are making lechon kawali or bagnet just for this, I suggest that you don’t (unless there is an urgent craving). What you can do is cook more than enough lechon kawali on any day that you intend to make one. Keep the excess in the freezer. You can thaw it later on when you want to make crispy binagoongan, and then re-heat in the oven to make it crispy again.
Now you know one of my secret for coming-up with somewhat time consuming dishes in such a small timeframe. In addition, it should be safe to freeze lechon kawali for a week or so.
It is ideal to consume the dish in one sitting. Although we can still enjoy what was left over for later, it will be harder to make the lechon crispy again since it is now coated with bagoong and other liquids.
Try this Binagoongang Talong with Lechon Kawali Recipe (Crispy Binagoongan). Enjoy!
Binagoongang Talong with Lechon Kawali (Crispy Binagoongan)
- 2 medium eggplant sliced
- ½ lb. lechon kawali chopped
- ¼ cup bagoong guisado shrimp paste
- 1 small yellow onion minced
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- A pinch of ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat the oil in a cooking pot.
- Sauté the garlic and onion until the onion gets soft.
- Add the bagoong (shrimp paste) and crushed red pepper. Stir.
- Put the sliced eggplants in the pan. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Pour-in water and vinegar. Let boil. Cook until the liquid completely evaporates.
- Turn off the heat. Add the lechon kawali. Stir.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with warm rice.
- Share and enjoy!