Pinakbet sa Gata or Pinakbet with Squid in Coconut Milk is what we had for dinner today. I am trying to abstain from meat, so I opted to prepare this dish because Pinakbet is one of my go to vegetable dishes. I also wanted to have ginataang gulay, so I added coconut milk to my Pinakbet so that I can have both the dishes that I am longing for. To be honest, I did not expect it to be this good.
I had planned to have this with half-a-cup of rice, which is kind of unusual for me, but I still tried to push through with the plan (at least) because it is a day to give-up some of the pleasures in life. It was not easy to eat this with very limited rice, so I had a cup more. If only I knew that this will be this good, I have opted to make this on Sunday — by then, it will be “rice all you can”.
This dish is something that I will keep on cooking. I can make variations by using other ingredients aside from squid. It will even be better if it is a bit spicy. A few drops of Sriracha sauce or a piece of hot chili pepper will make it more interesting, in my book.
Try this Pinakbet with Squid in Coconut Milk (Pinakbet sa Gata) Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Pinakbet with Squid in Coconut Milk (Pinakbet sa Gata)
- ½ lb. medium squid cleaned
- 6 pieces snake beans sitaw, cut in 2 inch pieces
- ½ small butternut squash cubed
- 6 to 8 pieces okra
- 1 medium Chinese eggplant sliced
- 1 small bitter melon sliced
- 1 thumb ginger minced
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 ½ tablespoons shrimp paste bagoong
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat oil in a bowl.
- Sauté garlic, ginger, and onion. Continue to cook until the onion are soft.
- Add the squid and then sauté for 2 minutes.
- Remove the squid. Set aside.
- Add the butternut squash. Continue to sauté for 3 minutes.
- Pour the coconut milk into the cooking pot. Let boil. Cover the pot and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the okra, snake beans, bitter melon, and eggplant. Stir and cook for 8 minutes.
- Stir in the squid, shrimp paste, and ground black pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!