I enjoy eating pork sinigang. This sinigang recipe is almost similar to the regular sinigang na baboy, except that using lechon makes the dish more flavorful.
It is not everyday that we get to keep lechon leftovers. These were the leftovers that we had for Christmas dinner. Making sinigang out of it (rather than the usual paksiw na lechon) is a good idea. Try this when you get a chance and see for yourself.
How to Cook Sinigang na Lechon
Unlike my other versions of sinigang, I start cooking this dish by sautéing the meat in oil and onion. It helps enhance the flavor of the lechon. Make sure to add just a bit of oil. We don’t want our soup to be oily.
The meat is boiled for a good 20 minutes. The duration is quicker compared to cooking raw meat because the lechon is already fully cooked. The meat should also be tender already. We are only boiling it to extract flavor.
I find sinigang mixes very convenient. It also provides the right amount of sourness that I like in my soup. “Knorr Sinigang sa Sampaloc” recipe mix is my trusted brand ever since I started cooking this dish. Let’s keep my age a secret, so don’t ask how long have I been making sinigang, Ok?
Simply add the sinigang mix after boiling the lechon and then add tomato and long green peppers afterwards. Cook for around 8 minutes before adding all the vegetable. This means putting-in the okra, snake beans (sitaw), and eggplant all together.
Season with ground pepper. Use either white or black pepper. Season with patis. Finish your sinigang by adding the kangkong last. This goes well with rice. I enjoy this with a saucer of patis and crushed siling labuyo.
Try this tasty Sinigang na Lechon recipe. Happy Cooking!
Sinigang na Lechon
- 1 lb. lechon
- 1 bunch kangkong
- 1 piece Chinese eggplant
- 2 pieces tomato cubed
- 8 pieces okra
- 12 pieces snake beans cut into pieces
- 3 pieces long green pepper
- 1 piece onion wedged
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 pack Knorr Sinigang sa Sampaloc Mix Original, 44 grams
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Slice lechon into serving pieces.
- Heat oil in a pot. Add lechon and saute for 1 minute.
- Put-in onion. Continue to cook for 35 seconds to 1 minute.
- Pour water into the pot. Let boil. Cover and continue boiling for 20 minutes using medium heat.
- Add Knorr Sinigang sa Sampaloc recipe mix. Stir.
- Add tomato and long green pepper. Cook for 8 minutes.
- Add okra, snake beans, and eggplant. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with ground white pepper and fish sauce.
- Put kangkong leaves into the pot. Continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Serve hot with rice. Serve!