Chicken and Ham Sopas is perfect during cold weather. This is what I usually make for my family when I have time. Otherwise, a quick egg drop soup will do. This version of the popular chicken sopas, which is also known as the Filipino version of chicken noodle soup will excite your taste buds.
Instead of boiling and shredding chicken meat, I used ground chicken for this recipe and added chopped ham for extra flavor. The noodles that I consumed are called wide egg noodles. Traditional chicken sopas uses elbow macaroni — you can also use it if you want. Celery and carrots are also important because these contribute in making this soup dish more yummy. The addition of dried thyme also helps boost the aroma flavor of this dish.
I like my chicken and ham sopas creamy, this version makes use of evaporated milk. You can also add a bit of heavy whipping cream to make it thicker.
Try this Chicken and Ham Sopas Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Chicken and Ham Sopas Recipe
- 1/2 lb. ground chicken
- 1/2 lb. chopped ham
- 12 oz. evaporated milk
- 1/2 lb. wide egg noodles or elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 cups celery ribs chopped
- 1 large baking potato diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a deep cooking pot.
- Put-in the butter to melt.
- Add-in the onions once the butter becomes hot.Cook for 2 minutes.
- Put-in the celery ribs. Cook for 1 minute.
- add the ground chicken and ham. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour-in the chicken broth and water. Let boil. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the carrots and potato. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour-in the evaporated milk. Allow to boil, and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put-in the noodles and thyme. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!