Chicken Arroz Caldo Recipe
Chicken arroz caldo is a type of Filipino rice porridge with chicken slices. It is best served when topped with hard boiled eggs, some chopped scallions, and toasted or roasted garlic. I personally like to squeeze a piece of calamansi or lime over the toppings. It makes the dish taste fresher and delicious. This chicken…
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Chicken arroz caldo is a type of Filipino rice porridge with chicken slices. It is best served when topped with hard boiled eggs, some chopped scallions, and toasted or roasted garlic. I personally like to squeeze a piece of calamansi or lime over the toppings. It makes the dish taste fresher and delicious.
This chicken arroz caldo version makes use of glutinous rice (or malagkit). It is the variety of rice that is frequently used to make rice cakes or kakanin such as biko and suman. The previous arroz caldo recipe that I shared is almost the same, except that it asks for regular white rice such as Jasmine.
I find it nice to add kasubha to chicken arroz caldo to give it a yellowish color. However, this ingredient does not influence the taste of the dish. If you want your arroz caldo to have a yellowish color while tasting even better, add Spanish saffron instead. I tried it several times and it always works like a charm.
I can have Chicken arroz caldo anytime of the day, especially when the weather is chilly. The best time that I like to have a bowl of it is during breakfast. I usually have this early in the morning with a couple of boiled eggs and lots of roasted garlic. To me, it is a good meal to start my day.
Try this Chicken Arroz Caldo Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag us on Instagram at @panlasangpinoy or hashtag #panlasangpinoy so we can see your creations!
Chicken Arroz Caldo Recipe
- 2 lbs. chicken cut into serving pieces
- 1 cup glutinous rice malagkit
- 1 Knorr chicken cube
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 thumbs ginger minced
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup kasubha safflower
- 1/2 cup roasted garlic
- 6 to 7 cups water
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fish sauce patis
- Heat oil in a deep cooking pot.
- Saute garlic, onion, and ginger.
- Once the onion gets soft, add the chicken. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the glutinous rice. Cook for 1 minute.
- Pour the water into the pot. Let boil.
- Add the chicken cube. Stir. Cover and cook in medium heat until the rice absorbs the water and the texture becomes porridge-like. Note: Stir the mixture once in a while concentrating on the bottom of the pan to make sure that the rice do not stick. You can add more water if needed.
- Add ground black pepper, fish sauce, and kasubha. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with scallions, boiled eggs, and roasted garlic. Serve with calamansi or lime.
- Share and enjoy!
Watch the Video on How to Cook Chicken Arroz Caldo
Leave a Comment