Bistek Tagalog is the Filipino version of the Beefsteak. It is comprised of thinly sliced beef cooked in soy sauce and lemon juice and garnished with caramelized onion rings.
This simple yet great tasting recipe does not require much ingredients and the procedure is not complicated at all. Just have all the ingredients present, add a little love to it and Voila! You have your deliciously cooked beef steak.
Cooking Bistek Tagalog is easier than you think. As long as you follow the steps indicated in this bistek tagalog recipe, you should be alright. It is important to marinate the beef in soy sauce and lemon juice for at least an hour so that the meat absorbs the flavor prior to cooking. The cut of the beef also matters a lot because this will affect the texture of the dish. Tender cuts are recommended for shorter cooking time. If the cut of beef that you have is tough, try cooking it in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes.
How to Cook Bistek Tagalog (BeefSteak)
Before cooking the beef, you will need to marinate it in soy sauce and ground black pepper. This means that the soy sauce, pepper, and beef will need to be mixed together and left for a considerable amount of time so that the beef can absorb the flavor.
When the beef has been marinated, it’s time to heat the pan. Pour some oil in the pan and add the onion. Note that the the onion is first cooked in this recipe. It is up to you if you want it cooked or semi-cooked. If you like the latter, add the onions last. Remove the onions and set it aside. To continue — pan fry the marinated beef in the pan where the onions were cooked. Add extra oil if needed. Add garlic and add the liquid used to marinate the beef . During this time, the beef needs to be tender, so we will simmer it for a while. Do not forget to add water if the liquid starts to dry out. Lastly, put the stir-fried onion in and continue to cook for a couple of minutes.
Try this delicious Bistek Tagalog Recipe and let me know what you think.
- 1 lb. beef sirloin, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 piece lemon or 3 pieces calamansi
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- salt to taste
- Marinate beef in soy sauce, lemon (or calamansi), and ground black pepper for at least 1 hour
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan then stir fry the onion rings until the texture becomes soft. Set aside
- In the same pan where the onions were fried, fry the marinated beef (without the marinade) until color turns brown. Set aside
- Put-in the garlic then saute for a few minutes
- Pour the marinade and bring to a boil.
- Put in the fried beef and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until meat is tender. Add water as needed.
- Add the stir-fried onions and some salt to taste.
- Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!