Hototay is a rich and delicious soup dish composed of various ingredients – pork, chicken, and liver – to name a few. This soup recipe is of Chinese in origin. However – like the siopao and siomai – this dish was embraced by the Filipinos and became part of the cuisine of the Philippines.
Having many ingredients adds a lot of different flavor to this soup dish. All these flavors coincide with each other producing harmony and a single delicious taste that makes this dish stand out. The vegetables in this dish add sweetness and texture. They also provide
Health benefits to our body.
Let’s take Shitake mushrooms as an example. This type of mushroom has a nice flavor that can make any dish taste better. It is also considered as a medicinal mushroom because of its healing properties, which is known since ancient times. Shitake mushrooms are known to boost the immune system and protect from cardiovascular diseases.
Although the ingredients might be overwhelming, this recipe is very easy to prepare. It only takes a little sautéing and simmering in order to complete this dish. Aside from that, most of the ingredients are available in supermarkets or in any fresh market. If you don’t see any fresh mushrooms near your area, you can use dried Shitake mushrooms — all you need to do is soak them in water for half an hour before cooking.
Have you tried Hotatay soup before? What do you like most about it?
Try this Hototay Soup Recipe and let me know what you think.
- Serves: 3
- Serving size: 3
- ½ lb pork, sliced thinly
- ½ lb boiled chicken, shredded
- ¼ lb pig liver, sliced thinly
- 4 to 6 cups chicken stock or chicken broth
- 2 cups Napa cabbage, chopped
- 1½ cups fresh Shitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup green onion,chopped finely
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 to 4 pieces raw eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teasoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat oil in a cooking pot.
- Saute garlic and onion.
- When the onion becomes soft, add the pork and cook until the color turns light brown.
- Put-in the chicken and liver, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour-in the chicken stock or chicken broth. Let boil and simmer for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add carrots and mushroom. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Put-in the Napa cabbage, salt, and ground black pepper. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat, and then transfer to individual serving bowls.
- Crack and place one egg per bowl. Sprinkle green onions on top to garnish.
- Serve hot.Share and enjoy!