This version of aligue fried rice is tasty and delicious. It is composed of the usual crab fat along with a variety of seafood. I love how it looks and tastes. It reminds me of the seafood paella that my family cooks during special occasions. Enjoy having this dish with your family for lunch or dinner.
How to Cook Aligue Fried Rice
Making this dish at home is quick and easy. It should only take you around 30 minutes to complete the process.
Start by cleaning the seafood. Devein shrimp and remove mussels from shells. Wash the squid and slice into pieces.
Once all the ingredients are ready, begin by cooking the seafood. I do this by sautéing. Heat oil in a pan and saute shrimp and mussel. Do this until the color of the shrimp turns orange. This should be around a minute. I add butter to the mix to make the flavors richer. Use 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter and put it on the pan to melt. Add the squid afterwards. Cook it for 30 seconds and then season with salt and pepper. You’ll notice that a sauce is somewhat formed. That is a good thing because it is needed later when cooking the rice. Transfer everything on a clean bowl for now.
Sound simple, right? It is, and I am sure that you can do this with ease.
Let’s proceed with the procedure on the rice. Using the same pan, heat remaining oil and then saute garlic until it browns. I find it easier to add the garlic and oil at the same while the pan is heating-up. Through this method, the garlic slowly cooks and browns as the oil gets hotter. It will prevent the garlic from getting burnt.
Add the onions next and saute until soft. Add some butter to make the rice richer and put the leftover rice into the pan once the butter melts. Cook the rice while stirring for 2 to 3 minutes.
Now to the tasty part. Add crab fat. This is called “taba ng talangka” in Filipino. Cook while stirring until it incorporates with the rice. Squeeze lemon on the rice and pour the sauce from the sautéed seafood. All these ingredients will be absorbed by the rice. It makes it very flavorful. Finish by seasoning the rice with salt and pepper and top with the sautéed seafood before serving.
Try making aligue fried rice using this recipe. Have fun cooking!
Aligue Fried Rice
- Cook the seafood by heating 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan. Put the shrimp and mussels. Make sure to remove the mussels from the shell. Continue cooking for 1 minute. Add half of the butter and let it melt. Put the squid into the pan and cook for 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- On the same pan, heat remaining oil. Sauté garlic until it starts to brown. Add onion. Sauté until onion becomes tender.
- Put the remaining butter in the pan and let it melt. Add rice. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add crab fat (taba ng talangka). Stir and fold until all ingredients are well blended.
- Squeeze lemon or calamansi and pour the sauce from the sautéed seafood. Adjust heat to high and continue stir-frying for 1 to 2 minutes. Season with ground black pepper and salt.
- Arrange the aligue rice on a serving plate. Top with cooked seafood. Serve. Share and enjoy!
Watch How to Cook Aligue Fried Rice