Lengua Estofada (sometimes called Lengua Estofado) is stewed Ox tongue cooked in tomato sauce. This dish is of Hispanic origin; it has been adopted by the Filipino Palate (Panlasang Pinoy) due to Three Centuries of Spanish colonization. This Lengua Estofada Recipe is the best that you can get.
Some people look at this dish as something exotic or unusual. Adjectives like “gross” or “yucky” are sometimes used to describe it. When I was still a child, I personally despise Lengua. Back then, it was hard to understand why many people enjoy eating cow’s tongue. As years passed by, I learned to appreciate this delightful dish. I just imagined that the meat I’m eating is beef brisket (believe me, it worked). Did you know what my first impression was after tasting this dish? An upscale version of the Beef Kaldereta
I like this Lengua Estofada recipe because it is bursting with flavor. The texture is also magnificent. The ingredients are in harmony with each other to the point of producing a unified flavor that you will enjoy.
Try this great tasting Lengua Estofada recipe and let me know what you think.
- 1 cup Tomato sauce
- 1 pc large potato, peeled and thinly sliced (crosswise)
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 1 pc beef cube
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- ½ cup green olives
- 2 cups white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce (optional)
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 3 cups water
- Sauté the garlic and onion
- Put-in the Ox Tongue and cook for a few minutes
- Add the tomato sauce, beef cube, and water then simmer for 1 to 1½ hours (30 minutes if using a pressure cooker).Note: Add water as needed.
- In a separate pan, heat the cooking oil and fry the potatoes. Set aside
- On the same pan were the potatoes were fried, remove excess oil and sauté the mushroom.
- Add some oyster sauce then set aside
- Once the Ox tongue is tender, add salt, pepper, and green olives and simmer for 5 minutes
- Serve the Ox tongue with the fried potatoes and sautéed mushrooms in a single serving plate. Share and Enjoy!
Watch the cooking video: