Sisig is a popular Filipino dish. It is composed of minced pork, chopped onion, and chicken liver. It is a favorite dish for pulutan. Sisig can also be enjoyed as a main dish with a cup of warm white rice on the side. I like to pair it with beer and spirits.
Origin of Sisig
Sisig originated from Pampanga. This place is considered as the culinary capital of the Philippines. It was invented by Lucia Cunanan. She is popularly known as Aling Lucing and the Sisig queen.
The US military bases located in the town might have played a role in the invention of this dish. People can buy cheap pig heads in commissaries because these are not normally consumed inside the base. Meat from the pig heads are scraped out, boiled, grilled, and made into what is now known as Sisig
The originally sisig is composed of chopped pigs face with snout and ears. Chicken liver, pig brain, and onion along with calamansi are also part of the mix.
There are several sisig versions available today. There is a variety of main ingredients. It ranges from the original pig’s face to a more healthy seafood concoction. Squid Sisig, Tuna Sisig, Bangus sisig, and Tahong Sisig are some examples.
Pork Sisig has its variations too. Pork belly is a widely used ingredient in conventional sisig versions. There are also versions that use pork shoulder. Some will mix and match different pig parts.
Chicken sisig is a version that is starting to gain popularity nowadays. It is a good option for people who don’t eat pork.
How to Cook Sisig
This sisig recipe starts by boiling pork belly and pig ears until tender. These are then grilled for a few minutes until it browns and develops a good texture. I chop the meat into small pieces after grilling.
Start cooking the sisig by sautéing ginger. Add chicken liver. Cook it thoroughly. Note that ginger is an optional ingredient for this sisig version. I added it to reduce the gaminess of chicken liver. Feel free to use it based on your preference.
Add the minced meat. These are the pork belly and ears. Make sure to blend all the ingredients together. This will balance the flavor of the dish. Add the seasonings and spices afterwards.
You have the option to use a metal plate to serve the dish. This can also be served on a regular plate. I topped this version with egg. This is optional.
Try this delicious Sisig Recipe and let me know what you think.
This is a recipe for Sisig.
- 1 lb. pig ears
- 1 1/2 lb pork belly
- 1 piece onion minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 knob ginger minced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 piece lemon or 3 to 5 pieces calamansi
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- ¼ lb chicken liver
- 6 cups water
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 piece egg (optional)
- Pour the water in a pan and bring to a boil Add salt and pepper.
- Put-in the pig’s ears and pork belly then simmer for 40 minutes to 1 hour (or until tender).
- Remove the boiled ingredients from the pot then drain excess water
- Grill the boiled pig ears and pork belly until done
- Chop the pig ears and pork belly into fine pieces
- In a wide pan, melt the butter or margarine. Add the onions. Cook until onions are soft.
- Put-in the ginger and cook for 2 minutes
- Add the chicken liver. Crush the chicken liver while cooking it in the pan.
- Add the chopped pig ears and pork belly. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes
- Put-in the soy sauce, garlic powder, and chili. Mix well
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Put-in the mayonnaise and mix with the other ingredients
- Transfer to a serving plate. Top with chopped green onions and raw egg.
- Serve hot. Share and Enjoy (add the lemon or calamansi before eating)